Sugar In Cereal That Can't Be Broken Down?

Options
Hello,

I recently purchased a box of Special K Original and a box of Honey Crunch 'N Oats to be part of my breakfast regimen. My brother insists that even in "healthy" cereals, there are types of simple sugars that can't break down in the body, and aren't used for energy. He says they stay in the body and can't be burned.

I haven't been able to find any information, can someone confirm that?

The Special K has 4g of sugars per serving and the Honey Crunch 'N Oats have 6g.

Thank you.

Replies

• CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Go back to him and tell him to show you where he got that from.

Also, he's wrong.

Yeah this.....
  • DrummerJoeD
    Options
    Go back to him and tell him to show you where he got that from.

Also, he's wrong.

Edit: Also, ask him, Bro do you even lift?

He mentions that for Diet Mt Dew as well. Even though the label says 0g of sugars, he says there are other types of sugars that aren't labeled that are just as bad.

Normally I would disregard what he has to say about nutrition, (he uses those pre and post workout powders and supplements and such) but he is a certified personal trainer, which is why I'm confused.

Yes, I ask him that daily, and he does, daily.
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    there is no sugar in diet mountain dew, although it does contain a slew of chemicals that are unhealthy

there is no sugar that the body cannot break down, and also anything your body cannot break down it passes out whole (think what happens when you eat corn, your body cannot process the hull)

eta: being certified in training (if he is in fact certified by any reputable group) does not require any nutritional knowledge/ education/ experience at all
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I'm so, so confused by all of this.

Sugar that can't be broken down? So if you eat Special K every day (as part of an eating plan that includes an appropriate calorie goal and macro breakdown) you will NEVER lose weight because it contains magic sugars that will never ever leave your body?

:huh:
  • CyberEd312
    Options

Sugar that can't be broken down? So if you eat Special K every day (as part of an eating plan that includes an appropriate calorie goal and macro breakdown) you will NEVER lose weight because it contains magic sugars that will never ever leave your body?

apparently so.... and to think all these years of losing weight and eating cereal... grr..... lol OP the answer would be no on the sugar in diet pop, chemicals and artificial sweeteners would be a yes but there is no sugar the body can't break down and process and anything your body can not break down it will just pass it.... Best of Luck
  • DrummerJoeD
    Options
    That's what I said. Haha.

I tend not to listen to him because he uses all of those supplements and powders, but he's been going on about the whole cereal thing for a long time.
  • kgeiger141
    kgeiger141 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    This is why I just don't eat anything that has sugar in it. Hidden or not, I just can't afford to eat anymore because of my obsessive Captain Crunch phase as a child. My hidden sugar storages are much too full.
  • CyberEd312
    Options

apparently so.... and to think all these years of losing weight and eating cereal... grr..... lol OP the answer would be no on the sugar in diet pop, chemicals and artificial sweeteners would be a yes but there is no sugar the body can't break down and process and anything your body can not break down it will just pass it.... Best of Luck

Ed. Let me just be the bearer of bad news to you. You may be losing weight but in the end you actually just gonna be a big *kitten* sugar cube.

ROFL Well I think after being trapped in my house for over 2 years unable to walk and fast forward to now....... I can live with that..... hehe :drinker:
  • DrummerJoeD
    Options
    I talked to him again last night. He said that the sugars CAN be broken down, but it is very slow and they are NOT used for energy. "Look at the ingredients list" he said, "There are no hidden sugars here" I said.

It must have been one of those "I learned about this a long time ago and it's ingrained in my brain" type things.

I can understand if it's Golden Crisp or something like that since it's packed with a ton of sugar, but Special K only has 4g and Honey Crunch 'N Oats only has 6g. I still find it strange that a banana has 14g of sugar in it. I know it's good sugar, but it still seems weird.

That one soda I have a day though really kicks me over my sugar limit. I know Diet Soda isn't good either but I need a little Diet Mt. Dew. You have to have a little flavor.