Added body weight exercises - oh my!

Options
3 weeks ago I added some basic body weight exercises to my routine. I also incorporated some jogging into my long walks and actually taken rest days. I cannot believe the difference in my body!

I lost 2.5 pounds this week (too much, I know...adjusting calories) and my muscles look ahhhmaaaazing! I'm especially pleased with my small tricep pop and my back...wish I could actually see it without a mirror lol

I wish I could have done this earlier, but I was recovering from surgery and my core wasn't ready for anything strenuous. It really is a testament to strength training for weight loss and better physique.

So, CHEERS to the pushup, body squat, flutter kick and plank...you have made me better and I am grateful!

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Losing fat makes muscles look more defined - its great!
  • peggym4640
    peggym4640 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Hell yeah! Congratulations.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    ...and the benefits just continue. Pushups, planks, body squats, tridips, etc. are part of my regular routine. I decreased my cardio by about 1/3. I have increased my caloric intake (mostly beer, don't judge lol) and still managed to lose 4 pounds so far in July.

I'm already at a healthy weight (5'6.5", 143ish) so once again I will increase my calories to slow the loss. My original goal was 148, which I surpassed. I'd be content where I'm at, or even higher, but I wonder what 135 - 138 looks like. About 145 is my normal (except the last year when I gained prior to a major surgery) and I haven't consistently seen 138 since I was in the military 25 years ago.

I think I will try decreasing cardio, and increasing the strength training over the next few weeks to see what happens. Any thoughts or suggestions?
  • peggym4640
    peggym4640 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have to share that you inspired me to get back into strength training. I'm using my TRX and doing body weight exercises as well. And it does make a difference. I'd keep doing what you're doing and see what happens. Maybe do body measurements? Good luck.
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    peggym4640 wrote: »
    I have to share that you inspired me to get back into strength training. I'm using my TRX and doing body weight exercises as well. And it does make a difference. I'd keep doing what you're doing and see what happens. Maybe do body measurements? Good luck.

I'm glad I made a positive impact! We're all trying to find our way...hopefully my experiences can help others find their way.

I seriously am amazed at the difference strength training has made for me. I wish you the same success!