Dubstep.

PepperWorm
PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
Just wondering if anyone here would like to share their opinion on dubstep.

Is it just noise? Does it remind you of Transformers bangin' it out? Just a fad and not really music? Or is there something to it that you can enjoy? Any artists you've picked up on and would like to share?

I'm a fan of some industrial, so I can get behind some dubstep. Not all dubstep was created equal though, in my opinion. I'm digging Knife Party lately. Makes for good exercise music. :smile:

Replies

• MNA76
    MNA76 Posts: 1,541
    I dig dubstep. I like to dance to it. I very much dig Knife Party. Especially Internet Friends.
  • PepperWorm
    I dig dubstep. I like to dance to it. I very much dig Knife Party. Especially Internet Friends.

YES.

Song cracked me up the first time I heard it! And I thought my phone was going off like a *kitten*.
  • MNA76
    MNA76 Posts: 1,541
    Ha!! I know exactly what you're talking about. Sometimes when my husband has it playing in the other room, it still gets me.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    I don't like it. It's too much like jazz in that it has no melody or continuity (Not saying Dubstep sounds like jazz). My boyfriend keeps trying to sway me into liking it. It's not happening. I prefer trip hop and electronica stuff like Massive Attack, Nightmares on Wax, RJD2, Thievery Corporation, etc.

Edited to clarify my opinion so as not to offend the jazz lovers.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    skrillex-remember.jpg
  • PepperWorm
    I don't like it. It's too much like jazz and has no melody or continuity (just my opinion). My boyfriend keeps trying to sway me into liking it. It's not happening. I prefer trip hop and electronica stuff like Massive Attack, Nightmares on Wax, RJD2, Thievery Corporation, etc.

I *love* Massive Attack. Mezzanine on repeat was my whole entire life at one point. Sensual stuff.
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    I don't like it. It's too much like jazz and has no melody or continuity (just my opinion). My boyfriend keeps trying to sway me into liking it. It's not happening. I prefer trip hop and electronica stuff like Massive Attack, Nightmares on Wax, RJD2, Thievery Corporation, etc.

Can I just clear up the fact that in no way is Dubstep like jazz. That's all.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    It's horrible.

how-i-feel-dancing-to-dubstep..gif
  • PepperWorm
    skrillex-remember.jpg

Crying. ROFL.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    It's horrible.

how-i-feel-dancing-to-dubstep..gif

tumblr_mat95ty7PB1rg9nmao1_500.gif
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member

I state that they are alike in the fact that they are really random and chaotic...and that they both hurt my brain.
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member

A-frikkin-men. I about spit out my tea when I read that.
  • SmoothRiko
    SmoothRiko Posts: 193
    First of the Year (Equinox) is LIFE!!!!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    SlofMan has some good ones. Ronald Jenkees isn't purely dubstep but its good.

I prefer vocal trance more than dubstep so don't have a lot of suggestion.
  • singlefemalelawyer
    singlefemalelawyer Posts: 382 Member
    LOVE the latest Knife Party album - its pretty much exactly 20 mins and gets me through my interval elliptical session like nothing else!

Knife-Party-Haunted-House.jpg

Also really enjoying electro house on this playlist for my power walks, or elliptical at the gym : http://songza.com/listen/today-s-electro-house-hits-songza/

Only listen to this type of music when I am doing cardio though. Have a wide range of music I enjoy in general.

tumblr_lzv97lHV5I1qzds7ro1_500.gif
  • PepperWorm

Teehee!!! Seen it before, but still makes me smile!
    SlofMan has some good ones. Ronald Jenkees isn't purely dubstep but its good.

I prefer vocal trance more than dubstep so don't have a lot of suggestion.

So I looked up SlofMan and the first result was Glaciers. Quite enjoyable! Must add to Pandora station now. Thanks for the heads up! Vocal trance is nifty as well. There's a great trance station on IHeartRadio I have bookmarked, so I feel ya.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member

A-frikkin-men. I about spit out my tea when I read that.

I'm third-ing this. I appreciate both but jazz musicians are extremely talented whereas anyone and everyone can make dubstep, I have loads of friends who do and can't play a single instrument. There's no doubt there's a certain amount of talent involved but nowhere near the skill and musicianship of jazz musician and the music they make.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Hopefully the over dosage of molly from the kids taking it nowadays will cure global overpopulation. Just sayin'.
  • OllyReeves
    OllyReeves Posts: 579 Member
    I don't think you have a clue what you're talking about. Jazz is neither random nor chaotic. You have clearly never heard any jazz. Go back to your safe music that doesn't hurt your brain, and stop bothering the adults.