Eating Guilt?

Options
anl90
anl90 Posts: 928 Member
Does anyone else have the problem of feeling guilty eating anything unhealthy? For the past two weeks or so, I have buckled down drastically on what I am eating and drinking, and honestly I am pretty proud of myself. However, I am to the point where it is getting extremely difficult to eat anything other than what I schedule for myself. For example: I have a slice of cake waiting for me in my fridge, and while I really want it, I cannot bring myself to do so. I guess, I feel like eating even the slightest amount of bad stuff makes me a failure. I am sure part of it, too, is I am afraid of going back to my old habits.

But am I crazy here? Does anyone else have anything similar to this? Please tell me I am not alone..lol

(Sidenote: I am not saying this is a bad thing necessarily. I just want to know if anyone else has the same feeling.)

Replies

• WanderingRivers
    WanderingRivers Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I do at times. Like tonight, I had 200 to go to tip me over 1K so I could complete my diary and I feel like crap that I made that choice instead of something better or simply leaving things as they were at just over 800 for the day.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I didn't catch this, which isn't a sidenote at all, but a disturbing suggestion, that food guilt can be anything else than a bad thing:
    anl90 wrote: »
    (Sidenote: I am not saying this is a bad thing necessarily. I just want to know if anyone else has the same feeling.)
    So I totally agree with this:
    cathipa wrote: »
    Don't fall into this trap...
    orthorexia:
    an obsession with eating foods that one considers healthy.
    a medical condition in which the sufferer systematically avoids specific foods in the belief that they are harmful.

Eat foods you like within reason.
  • WanderingRivers
    edited July 2018
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I do at times. Like tonight, I had 200 to go to tip me over 1K so I could complete my diary and I feel like crap that I made that choice instead of something better or simply leaving things as they were at just over 800 for the day.

This mindset is far more unhealthy than whatever choice you made to get over 1000 cals. Which by the way is still 200 calories under the minimum recommended calorie allotment for women. Which by the way is a net goal, meaning if you exercise you should be eating more than 1200 calories....

Considering I binged quite a bit over the weekend, I am trying to make up for that. I haven't been doing much exercise lately so it's all food deficit.
  • WanderingRivers
    Options

This mindset is far more unhealthy than whatever choice you made to get over 1000 cals. Which by the way is still 200 calories under the minimum recommended calorie allotment for women. Which by the way is a net goal, meaning if you exercise you should be eating more than 1200 calories....

Considering I binged quite a bit over the weekend, I am trying to make up for that. I haven't been doing much exercise lately so it's all food deficit.

if you didn't eat so little during the week, maybe you wouldn't binge at the weekend?

It was a confluence of multiple family events at once that led to my binge.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

if you didn't eat so little during the week, maybe you wouldn't binge at the weekend?

and what happens this weekend after a week of eating 1000 cals or less?
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options

If it's a day or two within a day or two of when you went over it's fine to do this to make the average across days come out at/near goal. Just don't do it too many days in a row.
  • WanderingRivers
    Options

and what happens this weekend after a week of eating 1000 cals or less?

I work on my crochet and knitting since I have nowhere to go and no events to attend. Busy hands are hands that don't reach for snacks.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

Let’s make sure we are on the same page - do you have clinically diagnosed binge eating disorder? Or what does a binge mean to you? Does it mean eating something you didn’t think you should eat? Couldn’t stop eating something once you started? Did it put you over your calorie target? Over your maintenance calories? By how much?

• WanderingRivers
    Options

Let’s make sure we are on the same page - do you have clinically diagnosed binge eating disorder? Or what does a binge mean to you? Does it mean eating something you didn’t think you should eat? Couldn’t stop eating something once you started? Did it put you over your calorie target? Over your maintenance calories? By how much?

I ate way over calorie target and way over maintenance. IDK the exact number as I had no way to measure or track.
  • WanderingRivers
    Options
    I only go 1200 or under when making up for a binge or I just don't feel good.

I have a minimum of 5 more lbs to go but I am thinking I may go to a lower goal then I have currently have.