Options
2»

Replies

• Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Rx versions:

"Epanova: Each 1 g capsule contains at least 850 mg of polyunsaturated fatty acids, including multiple omega-3 fatty acids (eicosapentaenoic acid [EPA] and docosahexaenoic acid [DHA] being the most abundant).

Lovaza: Each 1 g capsule contains the combination of EPA (~465 mg) and DHA (~375 mg) ethyl esters.

Vascepa: Icosapent ethyl contains ethyl esters of an omega-3 fatty acid, EPA, obtained from fish oil. It contains ≥96% EPA and does not contain DHA. Historically, mixtures containing both EPA and DHA have increased LDL cholesterol in patients with severe hypertriglyceridemia. However, studies have suggested that icosapent ethyl has not caused significant increases in LDL cholesterol while significantly decreasing triglyceride levels (Bays 2011; Miller 2011).

Brand Names: International

Agemo (PK); Dualtis (GB); Epax (EC); Equiplen (PE); Nebbaro (GB); Omacor (AE, AR, AT, AU, BE, BG, BH, CR, CY, CZ, DE, DO, EE, ES, FI, FR, GB, GR, GT, HN, HR, HU, IE, IL, KR, KW, LK, LT, LU, LV, MT, MY, NI, NL, NO, PA, PL, PT, QA, RO, RU, SA, SI, SK, SV, TH); Omakor (UA); Omaron (KR); Triomar (IL); Ysomega (FR)"

-Lexicomp online
    Might want to check if it's formulary first before asking MD for an Rx...Not sure if it's available in New Zealand, possibly under AU (Australia) brand name OMACOR
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Someone mentioned Krill Oil. Krill Oil is a natural way to combine Astaxanthin with Omega 3s. I take them separately but together (way more Astaxanthin that way). Astaxanthin is the most powerful carotenoid, by far. Not even close with others. A lot of research is coming out regarding taking Astaxanthin and Omega 3s together being much more beneficial. Here's just one study mentioning activation of the Nrf2 Pathway (a natural way your body reduces oxidative stress). I like taking them separate as opposed to Krill Oil because I get a lot more Astaxanthin that way (it also has other benefits for health).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24157545
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I've never heard a recommended dose of 10 capsules...

"My current generic recommendation is the middle level, 10X1 gram capsules per day for 3 grams total fish oil. This should provide maximal benefits (in terms of partitioning and health) with minimum negatives. Individuals trying to control a specific excessive inflammatory condition may wish to experiment with higher doses (15X1 grams capsules or 3-4 tsp Carlson’s fish oil per day)."

https://bodyrecomposition.com/nutrition/qa-2.html/
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I take Natures Bounty, in the 1200 mg Omega 3 per softgel. For one serving (2 gels) it provides 2400 mg of Omega 3's (DHA and EPA combined), with 25 calories. If I wanted to get to 3,000 I would take 3, but haven't noticed much difference for me on 2 versus 3.

Note, it took me forever to find one OTC with such a high EPA/DHA content so I wouldn't have to take tons of them a day.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    madwells1 wrote: »
    I take Natures Bounty, in the 1200 mg Omega 3 per softgel. For one serving (2 gels) it provides 2400 mg of Omega 3's (DHA and EPA combined), with 25 calories. If I wanted to get to 3,000 I would take 3, but haven't noticed much difference for me on 2 versus 3.

Note, it took me forever to find one OTC with such a high EPA/DHA content so I wouldn't have to take tons of them a day.

That's a really good point. You can find 1000 mg pills that only have 300 mg of actual EPA/DHA. Normally, the more expensive the pill, the higher the EPA/DHA in it. Even for my dogs, I buy one that has around 900 mg of combined EPA/DHA in it. If you look at the grocery store sales, you can usually buy them when they are Buy One/Get One Free. I only buy my Fish Oil supplements like that.

My wife doesn't like the fish taste. There are also several new brands of vegan (Algae derived) Omega 3s that are really great quality coming in the market now. They are usually a bit pricier but the price is coming down rapidly.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

I know each brand can have different potencies, but are you sure about yours? Nature's Bounty is what I have, and thought it was 1200 mg/serving, but the omega 3s are only 720 mg/serving.

Never mind... found the ones you're talking about online. One thing though, I've been doing some reading and for depression it sounds like you want one with a high EPA/DHA ratio, and apparently this brand doesn't distinguish. The info I found said to avoid brands that don't specify the breakdown.
  • try2again
    Options

Yes, thanks, I found it! :) But due to the concerns I mentioned above, I think I'm going to research it a little more thoroughly.
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Yes, that is the one. I see the breakdown is a little vague, 26-30% EPA, 17-20% DHA, so you may be right. I don't fish burp so I am happy :p Not too big (next to quarter). Sorry for the blurry pictures, not my fortay with one hand. I'm GenX.

amrkwbqtyklo.jpg
    dxeqdd50sc9n.jpg
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's worth the calories and I don't even count them because I didn't give it a 2nd thought.
  • try2again
    Options
    Yes, that is the one. I see the breakdown is a little vague, 26-30% EPA, 17-20% DHA, so you may be right. I don't fish burp so I am happy :p Not too big (next to quarter). Sorry for the blurry pictures, not my fortay with one hand. I'm GenX.

amrkwbqtyklo.jpg
    dxeqdd50sc9n.jpg

Thank you for posting that info! My label doesn't provide any of that info on the EPA & DHA, and those numbers are pretty decent. And the price is great too! Now I'm wondering what the catch is? ;)