Raw or cooked weight

Hi guys just wondering do I go by cooked or raw weight of meat?

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    I weigh raw before I cook it, and use an entry for raw meat. There are entries for cooked meat but I don't think they're as accurate due to unknown variances in cooking method and time.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Raw. The weight difference between rare and well done is substantial, but the calorie difference is negligible.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    The information on your nutrition label should be for the as packaged or raw weight unless the label specifies otherwise. I try to weigh everything raw, but if you prefer to weigh after cooking you can do that. You just need to find an accurate and appropriate entry in the food database that specifies it's for the cooked weight.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    The USDA database is a good resource for checking the accuracy of MFP entries for whole foods, like cooked meats.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    I get ice glazed individually frozen breast tenders a lot. Even defrosted, their raw weight is high because of extra water content, but the nutrition info matches fresh chicken. I use baked chicken entries for it and weigh it cooked. Also, I tend to make dinner for multiple people including myself so it is hard to weigh out just my portion uncooked. Like everythig else, the scale and/or tape will let you know if you are consistently off.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    The USDA database is a good resource for checking the accuracy of MFP entries for whole foods, like cooked meats.

Yup, I look in the USDA database first and plug that into MFP.

I picked raw when I can, for example, I am the only one eating that hamburger, but don't worry about it when I have to use cooked, like when we are sharing the chicken.