I don’t get it!

Options
According to my Apple Watch i burned 2500 calories today. I added an intentional exercise which gave me 147 extra calories . My goal is 1290. I ate 1400 . I walked over 14,000 steps according to my Apple watch yet i have a negative calorie adjustment of 70 calories . It is showing i burned less calories than i ate!!! What is wrong with this??

Replies

• CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    What is your activity level set to?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    Options
    Fitbit and mfp integration has had annoying as *kittens* interruptions over the past few weeks.... and that integration works thousands of times better than the Apple integration according to the frequent complaints one sees!

It is not your fault... it is mfp's fault!

That said you seem to be aiming for a deficit that far exceeds 25% of your total calories spent.... and an extra large deficit doesn't necessarily always translate into the biggest and best loss over the long term
  • clark614
    clark614 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I’m set to not very active.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I don't buy into the exercise calorie bit. Same steps as yesterday 140 less calories bonus?
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Ckark614. It sounds like something g is not set up right or it could've one of the many glitches that happen quite often.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    The Apple Watch red ring calories are not ones you should be looking at to eat back, in my opinion. I've been working between the AW and MFP for a couple of years now and I would be eating 2-300 cals over maintenance every day if I went by those numbers. Only eat back your exercise cals on top of the base number from MFP.

e.g. here are some numbers for the last 6 days: my base MFP 1580 plus exercise cals on the left, and on the right same MFP base plus the red ring Active Calories from the watch.

1980 2237
    2077 2361
    1886 2121
    1857 2119
    2005 2340
    2098 2369

That's quite a difference right? I know a lot of people really want those step calories from Fitbit and these casual activity calories from the AW to add to their totals but it has been my experience (losing weight with the MFP AW combo and now maintaining for 15 months) that they might be the reason a lot of people don't lose or maintain like they might. I don't think that puttering around the house and maybe going to the store is worth quite as many cals as the trackers provide. All I can say is for me, set MFP to sedentary and eating back all AW exercise cals but not counting whole the Move cals seems to balance out.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    I don't buy into the exercise calorie bit. Same steps as yesterday 140 less calories bonus?

AW counts steps incidentally, their metric places no value on number of steps in a day.
  • psychod787
    edited July 2018
    Options

AW counts steps incidentally, their metric places no value on number of steps in a day.

That's why I follow a tdee vs eating back exercise calories. It gives me more long term data. If I generally keep all things the same, burns should be close. My fit bit is basically a tracking device. And it's fun to see how high I can get my calorie burns. I am a little hamsterish. Lol
  • snemberton
    snemberton Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    AW active plus resting calories is approximately your TDEE, basically all the calories you burn over a day. I've been tracking in a spreadsheet outside of MFP.

My average Active calories since May is 757. (My move goal is currently 680.) That's an average TDEE of 2782. I eat typically between 1800 and 2100 calories each day, so my average deficit is 706 currently. Other than some water retention fluctuations, that has lined up within a half pound of my actual loss rate most of the time. I attribute some of the variations to my not super tight logging and the rest to the technology not being perfect. But it's pretty accurate for me.

MFP does a poor job of integrating the Apple Watch with the app at this time. There is a bug that removes your steps and any calories obtained by that once you log and sync a workout. Right now, my intentional workouts are first thing in the morning, so I could be super busy the rest of the day and walk all over the place and not earn a single extra calorie in MFP, unless I specifically logged that as intentional exercise.
  • psychod787
    Options
    I will use this as an example. I got up at the same time today. Went on the same walk with as close as the same intensity as I always do. My adjustment from that walk yesterday was 78 cals. I have my profile at lightly active. 7900 steps yesterday vs 7856 today. I am still in a negative adjustment as of today. Hmmmmmm......
  • snemberton
    snemberton Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I will use this as an example. I got up at the same time today. Went on the same walk with as close as the same intensity as I always do. My adjustment from that walk yesterday was 78 cals. I have my profile at lightly active. 7900 steps yesterday vs 7856 today. I am still in a negative adjustment as of today. Hmmmmmm......
    What tracker are you using?

• psychod787
    Options
    Fit bit charge 2
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Mine can do the same thing. Same number of steps...widely different adjustments!
  • kettiecat
    kettiecat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Does it go by heart rate?