My mindful eating trip to Asia

Options
There are so many posts on restrictions, deprivation and guilt that I wanted to share a different experience. I went on a five week holiday to explore vegan food in Asia: Indonesia, Thailand, Singapore, Hong Kong and Japan. I have been vegan since I was a child and was curious to try different cooking styles. Food was the purpose of the trip so obviously there were no diet rules. Basically, I assumed that during the trip I would regain all the 10 kg I had lost over the previous eight months, and that I might as well enjoy it. I decided to just savour and appreciate every single bite, eat what I fancied and when, and not worry about calories, fasting or exercise. The trip was about food after all. When I stepped on the scales upon returning, I couldn't believe it: I hadn't gained a single gramm. Eating mindfully was wonderful. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Replies

• fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I go to China every year for 3-4 weeks. I usually lose a pound or so. I eat meat but their foods are mostly rice and vegetables (in southern China at any rate) with very little meat anyway. I just need to steer clear of candy and bread things, same as when home, and I eat large portions with no gain. I don’t count calories or have access to a scale for me.
  • huango
    huango Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    For my 3.5 weeks trip to China/Japan, we walked and toured so many sights (while wearing a heavy backpack) that I lost a few pounds.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I have had it like that, often, not linked to veganism or Asia, but actually every time I have been on holiday, or eaten out, whenever my mindframe has been one of excitement and curiosity and freedom. If I have already been dieting, or felt unhappy or not in charge, I have overeaten at any opportunity, no matter if I was at home or away. So I aim to reproduce "the holiday feeling" in my everyday life, it's an effective and enjoyable approach for me.