Intermittent Fasting

Options

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Slowfaster wrote: »
    New studies are going on as to whether or not IF can reduce cancer risk and boost the immune system, but early results are promising in those areas and suggest it is beneficial in many other small ways.

Just on a personal level -- I love it! I've been doing it for ten months and although the 45 pounds I've lost may all be due to calorie restriction, I know for sure that the fasting has helped me stick to the calorie restriction.

I eat between noon and six, so basically it's two 600 calorie meals. The meals are big enough to be satisfying, I'm not forcing myself to eat in the mornings when I'm never very hungry, and best of all, when the clock hits 6PM and I finish the dishes and go brush my teeth it's like my brain goes into a wonderful rest from food decisions. In my mind there's a, "Kitchen Closed," sign up and there's just no entry. I can read or watch TV without planning the next snack or arguing with myself about whether or not to have it.

Please just stop promoting IF as a potential cancer risk minimizer. It's irresponsible and currently scientifically unsubstantiated.

That’s not what he was saying was it. He said that studies are on-going, this is something that is interesting to know, he is by no means promoting anything or being irresponsible

I am very wary of those studies personally. They tend to work with correlation vs causation. Though the research is interesting.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Mari22na wrote: »
    IF is simply skipping meals. Originally, intermittent meant intermittent but now it's simply eating through your window every single day. It could be a drive-up or kitchen window. IF is not a miracle cure for anything. Eating all the things in an 8 hour period will not reset your metabolism or help you release endorphins.

It is cutting edge and trendy to combine all of the eating protocols together into one. IF/keto/food group elimination-autoimmune protocol/WW/food resets and all of the rest of the ballyhoo. Argumentum ad populum.

If at the end of 3 years and most definitely the 5 year mark, if you did not maintain weight loss or said benefits with any or all of these protocols then it's time to pick up your marbles and go home.

Clean the slates and clear the decks. There's always another obesity cure coming around the corner.

True Ana....
  • rgg71
    rgg71 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have been reading about intermittent fasting as of late, as well as keto. IF seems to be an easier way to fix eating habits, I’m still just not sure what kind of diet to incorporate with it and what time of day to start a 16:8 window. I read a little that maybe keto would help with this IF tool, but I feel like maybe I want to try just cutting out sugar and trying to have a more vitamin rich meal plan. Or would supplements be the better option?

I have PCOS so my real issue is the sugar. I’m thinking easing into it with some soup and then heavier meals toward the end? I just want to feel satiated and have a nutritionally complete meal as well.

Hi, I have been doing IF 5:2 since September last year (with a break for holidays). At the end of October I went on to a LCHF/Keto way of eating and found the 5:2 fasting easier as I lost cravings on the fasting days and managed to last until a single evening meal, while avoiding overeating the day after the fast day. It took me about 2 weeks to adapt to the diet and I found the low carber daily forum on MFP very helpful with lots of tips.
    In terms of weight loss I have managed 48 lbs in that time and have not struggled as I have in the past, so for me it has been a good tool for weight loss and I have not struggled with hunger.
    I'm now at a point where I am approaching maintenance and I am starting to think about how to adapt because I have become so used to it! I'll probably stop the 5:2 but can't see myself giving up on the LCHF as it's too good (IMO)

In terms of supplements, I can't really answer but just looking at my experience of IF/KETO, I don't see a need for it other than making sure that I keep electrolytes up by adding salt.
  • kds10
    kds10 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Slowfaster wrote: »
    New studies are going on as to whether or not IF can reduce cancer risk and boost the immune system, but early results are promising in those areas and suggest it is beneficial in many other small ways.

Just on a personal level -- I love it! I've been doing it for ten months and although the 45 pounds I've lost may all be due to calorie restriction, I know for sure that the fasting has helped me stick to the calorie restriction.

I eat between noon and six, so basically it's two 600 calorie meals. The meals are big enough to be satisfying, I'm not forcing myself to eat in the mornings when I'm never very hungry, and best of all, when the clock hits 6PM and I finish the dishes and go brush my teeth it's like my brain goes into a wonderful rest from food decisions. In my mind there's a, "Kitchen Closed," sign up and there's just no entry. I can read or watch TV without planning the next snack or arguing with myself about whether or not to have it.

Please just stop promoting IF as a potential cancer risk minimizer. It's irresponsible and currently scientifically unsubstantiated.

That’s not what he was saying was it. He said that studies are on-going, this is something that is interesting to know, he is by no means promoting anything or being irresponsible

Yes and if you watch a BBC documentary called "The science of fasting" they get into some of this...so research has been ongoing in regards to this.
  • fitnesspinay
    fitnesspinay Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have been reading about intermittent fasting as of late, as well as keto. IF seems to be an easier way to fix eating habits, I’m still just not sure what kind of diet to incorporate with it and what time of day to start a 16:8 window. I read a little that maybe keto would help with this IF tool, but I feel like maybe I want to try just cutting out sugar and trying to have a more vitamin rich meal plan. Or would supplements be the better option?

I have PCOS so my real issue is the sugar. I’m thinking easing into it with some soup and then heavier meals toward the end? I just want to feel satiated and have a nutritionally complete meal as well.

I think there’s no harm in trying it out? See if it works for you and your lifestyle and if you seem to get results through doing it?

I agree.. I think it really depends on the lifestyle, and how your body reacts on the diet program your doing.
  • kakassens
    kakassens Posts: 2 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I like the idea of IF and a good friend of mine loves it and says it works for him. I tried it for a couple of weeks and ended up having a cramping pain in my abdomen (close to my gallbladder), usually at night. After I started eating normal again, the pain stopped. So I think it really depends on your body and what works for you, no specific diet is fool-proof for everyone.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    kakassens wrote: »
    I like the idea of IF and a good friend of mine loves it and says it works for him.
    I laugh whenever someone says that.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I use IF and find it very effective at controlling appetite. Different strokes for different folks. The way I incorporate it is I skip breakfast, then stop eating after dinner. Pretty simple. You can use IF and not do keto. I probably wouldn't do keto with the PCOS and as a female wouldn't do it very long.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    bpotts44 wrote: »
    I use IF and find it very effective at controlling appetite. Different strokes for different folks. The way I incorporate it is I skip breakfast, then stop eating after dinner. Pretty simple. You can use IF and not do keto. I probably wouldn't do keto with the PCOS and as a female wouldn't do it very long.

Why not?
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »

Why not?

Long term dietary ketosis down regulates thyroid effectively reducing metabolism. The effect is more significant in women.
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Pretty new to IF. For about a month now I've been eating all of my daily calories between 5 and 7 AM. Been working extremely well so far. If that counts as intermittent fasting.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »

Why not?

Long term dietary ketosis down regulates thyroid effectively reducing metabolism. The effect is more significant in women.

Any citations for that?