Log it for today or leave it as yesterday?

Options
Yesterday I cooked dinner, weighed and logged it all, and started to eat it. Near the end of the meal I realised I wasn't hungry any more and stopped eating, leaving a small portion of rice left. Perfect to put into my lunch today.
I've left it logged as yesterdays dinner, and now today's lunch looks really light.

So what do you do? Log it yesterday and take the "free" calories, or reduce yesterday's amount and log it as today?

Replies

• Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Doesn't really matter one way or the other does it as long as it's logged.

Does it matter to you that today's lunch looks light?

Not really, I'm just interested in what everyone else would do
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    If it were me it would already have been weighed and logged to fit into dinner so I would just leave it there instead of switching some over to lunch the next day.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i would reduce my portions from tea and add it to lunch. i work by my weekly cals, not daily.

as long as its logged somewhere it doesn't really matter.
  • kazminchu
    kazminchu Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I would log it as part of today's lunch - my reasoning being that I would prefer to have a small "bonus" deficit from yesterday than overeat today because my logged calories don't match what I've eaten. But that's just me. :)
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,595 Member
    Options
    kazminchu wrote: »
    I would log it as part of today's lunch - my reasoning being that I would prefer to have a small "bonus" deficit from yesterday than overeat today because my logged calories don't match what I've eaten. But that's just me. :)

But you're not really overeating since the calories you didn't eat were already accounted for.

Hell, I just ate some ice cream I logged yesterday but didn't get around to eating last night.

So, OP, I would obviously just leave your diary the way it is. You know you logged it and you know you're eating/ate it at some other point.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    When I do this, I just leave the meal as I originally logged it. It's important to me that I log everything I eat, it's less important that my days are exact.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,966 Member
    Options
    Another vote for leave it on yesterday. When I put a little oil on fish that I'm broiling or veggies that I'm roasting that I expect to have leftovers from, I generally just log all the oil (generally we're talking 1 to 2 tsp, or 5 to 10 g) on the first meal, and then eyeball whether I'm eating half or a third of the fish or veggies, which I weighed raw. (I always make sure to account for all of the raw weight of the fish and veggies in logging the meals that I eat it in, but it's not important to me to figure out whether I had 180 g of carrots tonight and 160 tomorrow -- if I started with 340 g raw carrots, I'll log each meal as 170 g.)

I'll also do this when I go to Baja Fresh, and they give you a side of tortilla chips no matter what you order. I generally don't want all of them, but I'll usually log the full serving for that first meal, and then use the leftovers within a day or two in a bean and cheese omelet, or in lieu of crackers or crouton on soup or salad -- something where the added crunch enhances the dish.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    How many calories are in this "small portion of rice" bring scrutinized? 100?
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,287 Member
    Options
    I would move it to today, but that's just me.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    It doesn't even have to be within 24 hours of eating. I often make 2 servings of something on the weekend for the following week's lunch. Normally I eat this food on Tues and Thurs. While I am very careful to calculate the calories for the total recipe I eyeball the division of servings and log it as half the recipe when I eat it. I don't really care if the division is accurate. It could even be 60/40 and it wouldn't matter because the calories are right for the week.

How you handle your diary is a matter of preference. I would just make sure you are consistent in your methods.

• PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    The way I look at it, your body doesn't work on a 24 hour cycle, so don't sweat it if you eat over your calorie limit on a given day if you eat under on another day. For example, today after exercise, if I eat nothing more today (which I absolutely will do, don't worry), I'd have a 1,500 calorie deficit. But, if I'm ravenous tomorrow, and I end up eating 700 calories over my limit, it'll be okay. I'll still be 800 calories below my limit, or 400 calories for both today and tomorrow. And that's a pretty decent deficit.