New here

Options
Hello. I see that the majority of the folks here have a weight loss goal. I can empathize with that as I have carried around excess weight most of my life. At 5’8” I once weighed 220 pounds.
Three years ago I was diagnosed with esophageal cancer. Treatments invloved both chemo and radiation theropy followed by an esophogectomy. That is a rough surgery. They removed almost all of the esophagus and 1/3 of my stomach. They then relocated the stomach up into the chest cavity and attached it to the remnants of the esophagus.
As a result my ability to balance food intake and activity has been greatly changed. The quantity I can eat at any given time has dropped dramatically. Certain foods are no longer in my diet as they cause distress. In the past 2 1/2 years since surgery my weight dropped from 216 on the day of surgery to 146 last month. So my goal is not to lose weight (like I would have been happy for most of my life), but to stop the skid.
I set my goal on here as a weight gain goal. I have recently reorganized my home to include a “universal” home gym, free weights, and a treadmill. I utilize one or both daily, record my intake on the app, and have it synced with the health apps on my iPhone and watch. It has only been a week, but I can see when I am behind on eating or when I am on track. This just might work for me. Fingers crossed!

Replies

• 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!

Congratulations on beating cancer, hopefully things are settling down for you now. I had a friend recently have a large part of her stomach removed due to stomach cancer, and it took a few months for her to be able to get enough calories in to stop losing weight. I hope you are able to find what works for you and your stomach.

If it is helpful, this post has a pretty comprehensive list of calorie dense foods.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10326769/are-you-a-hard-gainer-please-read/p1

~best wishes