Struggling with health...

Options
Rubyheart18
Rubyheart18 Posts: 10 Member
Not sure how some of this app works but here I go! I’m completely lost on how many carbs, protein, and fat to eat! 🙈
I’m a diabetic with a host of benign tumors to holistically heal. I would like to lose weight but I need energy and can’t do the full keto diet. Have to have some carbs for taking RX meds, some cause nausea🤮
I’ve gone *ORGANIC* for health reasons but completely open to anyone’s opinions. I’ve changed my app settings everyday for several days. 😂😂😂 :):)

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,030 Member
    Options
    If your medical team has suggested certain macros or macro percentages, use them.

Otherwise, set them however you want for weight loss. It's about calories, though I would focus on hitting the protein goals daily. That's important.

I always used the default setting but I rarely hit them all with much accuracy, and I don't have diabetes. Maybe set your goals in line with diabetes.org's suggestions.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    You lost me at "tumors to holistically heal".
  • skysmom26
    skysmom26 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I personally love keto. You can do it a few different ways and since you have medical conditions just set your carbs higher than average keto. I lost my first 60lbs tracking and keeping below 80 net carbs.. Maintained the loss a couple years and now doing keto....... Ultimately it depends how large you are. Some people only need small changes in the beginning to see big results. I am a person no matter my weight I have to be very strict to lose.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Not sure how some of this app works but here I go! I’m completely lost on how many carbs, protein, and fat to eat! 🙈
    I’m a diabetic with a host of benign tumors to holistically heal. I would like to lose weight but I need energy and can’t do the full keto diet. Have to have some carbs for taking RX meds, some cause nausea🤮
    I’ve gone *ORGANIC* for health reasons but completely open to anyone’s opinions. I’ve changed my app settings everyday for several days. 😂😂😂 :):)

Your post suggests you think there's something wrong with eating carbs?
  • Rubyheart18
    Options
    I guess I was just referring to the trend of Keto. I’m just trying to find a balance where I can lose and not be on extremely low carb diets. Sorry for the confusion 🙃. *Tumors and holistic healing is just meaning that I’m using alternatives to surgeries and also supplements.
  • Rubyheart18
    Options
    I would love to lose 50 or 60 lbs.
    Physical activity is somewhat restricted due to some tiny tumors on the bottom of my feet :/
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I guess I was just referring to the trend of Keto. I’m just trying to find a balance where I can lose and not be on extremely low carb diets. Sorry for the confusion 🙃. *Tumors and holistic healing is just meaning that I’m using alternatives to surgeries and also supplements.

You just need a calorie deficit to lose weight.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    What type of diabetes - type 1 or type 2? I know with Type 2 which my mom has, she has to stay within 45 carbs per meal to keep her blood sugars stable. Your doctor or Certified Diabetes Educator/Dietician should have given you a carb number to stay within for meals. You would then fill in the rest of your calories with fat/protiens, whatever satiates you more you would eat more of.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Even if there were doctors here, they wouldn't prescribe anything over a forum for tumors and holistic healing. As laymen, we don't know your medical history and you don't have to share it either. Delicate health is so very difficult. You really need to sit down with a physician, face-to-face and figure this all out.
  • Rubyheart18
    Options
    I’m type 2 diabetic but if I get sick I get insulin injections just like a type 1. I’m not really looking for advice for the tumors, it’s controlled. However, I said all that just to mention my reasons for using organic foods. Really looking for a good balance to lose weight without the extreme dieting. Thank you for the tips😊
    It’s good to hear that some have success just by reducing the carbs within this app. The app is so helpful.
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    To get the most out of this app I would suggest purchasing a food scale...they aren't expensive.

When ever possible, weigh your food. If you've never done it before it may come as a shock.
    It was to me!! My portion sizes were way out of control.

I have two bad knees so I understand about exercise being difficult but it is not impossible. You'll just have to be creative. ;)

And although exercise isn't necessary for weight loss..... all you need is a calorie deficit...... it can certainly benefit you both physically AND mentally. :)