It has been 9 weeks Why

Options
Why didn't I try this sooner?

I have been overweight since college many years ago and like a lot of people have tried many different diets with no lasting success.

Last fall I had a stroke and spent what I call "the winter of no fun" not working, eating, not moving and gained even more weight. Realizing I wanted to enjoy my retirement in a few years I signed up for a program through work call Prevent T2.

This is a program to help guide a person in the steps to prevent developing type 2 diabetes. It meets weekly with certain reasonable and achievable goals each week.

When I signed up I weighed 254 pounds.

The first week I just paid attention to what I was eating (didn't change anything) and made note of my observations. Like those Carmel M&M's, that I ate the entire sharing size package (10 servings)at one time, do come in a single 130 calorie package and I could fit them into my calorie budget. I now enjoy them (single size) once a week on Saturday.

The second week we talked about getting active. One of the goals of the program is to increase weekly moderate activity (over a 6 month time period) to 150 min/week. So I got a battery for my fitbit zip and started using it.

We then talked about eating right to prevent type 2 and that is where I found MFP and started tracking. I set my goal to 1 pound a week (because I also got sucked into the message boards and binge read) and out popped 1650 calories as my goal. Cool I can do that I don't have to starve.

I used the tricks I was taught in so many of those "diets" I had done in the past. You know size of you palm, deck of cards, size of walnut, base ball tennis ball. You know guestimate. But I kept reading the message boards and I read over and over that actually measuring your food was the best way. So out came the measuring cups and spoons. Hubby was not particularly pleased with increased dishes but hey I was measuring.

As I kept reading the boards (quite entertaining some threads are) I read that actually weighing your foods was better and with the tare function you did not need to dirty so many cups and spoons. I have a scale around here someplace so I went in search and found it in plain sight on the kitchen counter. Hubby is now much happier.

It is now a game for both of us to "guess" what the weight of something is before portioning out our meals. We have both realized we suck at the guessing game and are happy to weigh.

I joined in the Biggest Loser challenge group for support and accountability and am continuing to read the message boards.

Scale check
Track ALL food check
Pick a reasonable weekly loss goal (1 pound) check
Eat to my calorie goal, no starvation diet, check
Eat back a portion of my exercise calories. I am working on that one.

My results you ask
Yesterdays weigh in was 238.8
15.2 pounds in 9 weeks

A little over 1.5 pounds a week. I think I will stick with you guys.

Replies

• AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Aww, heck yeah! I'm happy to hear that things are working so well for you!

(I love my food scale for the exact same reason. I was hesitant to get one until I realized that tare = no more washing measuring cups and spoons every day!)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,030 Member
    Options
    I love this post. Keep it going! Congrats on heeding the words of wisdom so often ignored on this site and well done. :)
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Well done!!!
    I’ve had the same thought of “Why didn’t I do this sooner???” No, it’s not always easy (social occasions can still be a challenge for me), but I scared myself into thinking that it would be harder than it actually is. Then when I actually started, I realised that I could totally do this!
    And seeing the results are so motivating, and make me excited to keep going!

So glad that it’s working for you... keep up that positive attitude, it will take you far on your journey!
  • app_119
    app_119 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! It is helpful, isn’t it?! I know that personally I am so grateful for MFP. It has made all the difference in the world for me.

Keep up the good work and your wonderful, positive attitude.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    My favorite post of the day :smiley:
  • Goober1142
    Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Keep up the good work
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,459 Member
    Options
    Happy dance! You've got this on a great track: Roll on.

I, too, wish I'd done this sooner . . . several decades sooner. Who knew it was so achievable, with the right attitude and tools?

Go, you!
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your results, it's awesome. I ask myself same question often, why did i waste so many years before committing to the obvious way of loosing weight and keeping it off? No reasonable explanation comes to mind. But I'm very grateful to MFP for tools to do the work needed and for all of the help and support on message boards here.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Well done!!!
    I’ve had the same thought of “Why didn’t I do this sooner???” No, it’s not always easy (social occasions can still be a challenge for me), but I scared myself into thinking that it would be harder than it actually is. Then when I actually started, I realised that I could totally do this!

So glad that it’s working for you... keep up that positive attitude, it will take you far on your journey!

Good to hear that OP (and others) has found a way that works and which doesn't rely on expensive fads.

Social situations can be a challenge but are part of life. 3 things I have to remind myself that help me
    1. If I do this accurately 80% of the time I will continue to lose weight - provided I don't gorge myself for the other 20% 😉
    2. I don't have to eat all the food offered to me, I can say 'no thank you'. I never offer the excuse that I am watching my weight, that's my choice/problem, no-one else's.
    3. Rich, 'yummy' party food often disappoints me now. When tempted by it I always double check with myself whether it will be worth the calorie blowout on this occasion or would I actually prefer to eat something fresh and light. I feel sad now if I go out and there are no fresh, interesting salads not smothered in dressing! 😁

Planning a careful day before and after a social occasion and increasing my activity around them helps but most importantly, don't let your social life ruin your endeavour for better health and don't let your endeavour for better health ruin your social life.

• Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Well done!!!

Good to hear that OP (and others) has found a way that works and which doesn't rely on expensive fads.

Social situations can be a challenge but are part of life. 3 things I have to remind myself that help me
    1. If I do this accurately 80% of the time I will continue to lose weight - provided I don't gorge myself for the other 20% 😉
    2. I don't have to eat all the food offered to me, I can say 'no thank you'. I never offer the excuse that I am watching my weight, that's my choice/problem, no-one else's.
    3. Rich, 'yummy' party food often disappoints me now. When tempted by it I always double check with myself whether it will be worth the calorie blowout on this occasion or would I actually prefer to eat something fresh and light. I feel sad now if I go out and there are no fresh, interesting salads not smothered in dressing! 😁

Planning a careful day before and after a social occasion and increasing my activity around them helps but most importantly, don't let your social life ruin your endeavour for better health and don't let your endeavour for better health ruin your social life.

Great advice!
    Social situations totally are a part of life- and I wouldn’t have it any other way! I absolutely have strategies in place that help, however, in saying that, they are certainly more challenging for me than, say, eating at home or at work, when I’m in charge of the food I eat.
    An example is a family dinner, when someone else is in charge of choosing the restaurant, or the conference that I have coming up next weekend- I’ll be away for 3 days, all food is catered, and I have no kitchen access.
    Strategies for this are to exercise more in the days leading up to the conference, bank some calories, take some emergency rations that don’t need any prep (eg protein bars) so I have some control over what I eat, and to get up early each morning at the conference to go for a walk. Has worked for me at past conferences/ weekends away, and I know it will this time. It just takes a little more discipline, and a little more planning, both of which are perfectly manageable.

But yes.... having strategies in place/ knowing what you will do in potentially more challenging situations is important.... and crucial to ongoing success! :smile:
  • motivatedmartha
    Options
    @Leannep2201 You've got this covered and you will succeed as you have such a positive attitude. Makes me a bit sad when I red of people who avoid social gatherings because it will upset their programme - there will be life to deal with after we reach goal and we have to know how to deal with it :D Also - as you point out - some events cannot be avoided - conferences/meetings/weddings etc.

• Silentpadna
    Silentpadna Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Ahh yes...the social situation worry.
    .....No, it’s not always easy (social occasions can still be a challenge for me), but I scared myself into thinking that it would be harder than it actually is. ..

I see that a lot around here. I had issues with worrying about that stuff, like gatherings, holidays and cook-outs when I started. But, since many consider this a "journey" (a word I don't really personally like in this application), it did actually get me to thinking about how I do road trips - especially when I drive alone for a business trip - I'm on one now. Usually I'll stop for gas - and that's about it. I refuse to take the occasional rest stop because I want to get to my destination sooner. Many times, there are rest stops that even have a great view of the area. I skip that. What have I gained? A few extra minutes to take in the view of a hotel room, and rest while being a little bit more road weary. That same rest that could have done me good on the drive and kept me refreshed.

I lost close to 50 pounds last year. Along the way I gained a few during one month and few during another. Then resumed the "journey". That month or so didn't stop me, didn't change the new habits I had formed, and was not a one-way street in the opposite direction. It was just a rest stop before getting back on the highway. I hope I have 30+ years left here. I'm not spending all that time on the highway. When Thanksgiving comes, I'll eat what I want. When my son graduates next year, we'll celebrate. If I eat 5000 calories on one of those days, I'll know, because of the ingrained habits, that I will not gain 50 pounds back because of those outlier days.

Tying this back to the original post, doing all of the things that successful people do and share on these forums is extremely liberating. And the funny thing about the social situations thing is that everybody that I used to look at in those situations and think "these folks are lucky, they can eat whatever they want and look great" don't eat like that all the time. Before I did what the OP did, I did eat like that all the time. Which is why I was obese and going in the wrong direction.

• motivatedmartha
    Options
    @Silentpadna Nice analogy. Celebrations are just that and should be enjoyed with freedom and pleasure. The only time I feel we should need to feel constrained on social occcasions is if those occasions occur several times a week - then we have to apply our newly learned lessons about disciplined eating. As you say - consuming 5000 calories celebrating your son's graduation will not turn into a massive weight gain - going out every Friday and Saturday night and eating/drinking that many calories may.

PS I like using life long journey only because I see my current eating regime and mfp as something that will have to continue well beyond when I have reached my preferred weight