Confused and demoralized

I seem to be stuck around the 70 kg mark for the past 2 weeks. In the last week I have stayed the same which is driving me nuts as I'm working my butt off. I noting everything I eat, measuring weights etc and I am recording my exercise based on how many calories my workout burns according to my i watch. I am 11 st and 5 foot 3 (if i stand super tall) and there's plenty of weight to drop. I am not going over my calories at all. I have gone under a lot as I don't see the benefit of trying to stuff extra food in when I get an opportunity at 10 pm. Without a doubt I am DEFINITELY eating less than is going out so why is this not being reflected on the scales?

I'm desperate for some positive reward from my hard work here and would really appreciate advise

Replies

• Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    Trust in your deficit. It's only been a couple of weeks, sometimes the scales just stall. These are the moments to check for our NSV. Check your waist measurements, how do your clothes fit? Take a look at pictures of yourself. It sounds like you're doing plenty of exercise, can you see a change in toning? Do you feel fitter?

You'll get through this, no worries.

(Also, I am in exactly the same place as you: 5ft 3inch (If I stand very tall, I'm sure it's more 5ft 2½inch) and currently 70.3kg)
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    I was in your shoes last month. I was working hard and stayed stable for two weeks. Hang in there, at the end of the two weeks things just kicked into gear again (in fact I went down the same amount I had predicted for the total month just not progressively).

I know it sucks and demoralizing but just hand in there.
  • rekrapetak
    rekrapetak Posts: 18 Member
    I think my main issue is that I have been dieting since start of April. I was being mindful of what I ate and I lost about 1 stone by end of May. Then I stopped losing so I have actually been maintaining since the first week of June. I started using MFP two weeks ago to try and identify the issue and to try and get as focused on possible with smarter food choices and added exercise. I have checked through paranoia and I'm not pregnant. I guess could it be I'm not eating enough? Might my body be trying to maintain more due to increased cardio workouts. I'm not feeling "Starving" or excessively tired (no more than usual with 2 toddlers). Or could it be water retention??

I think my body is changing shape a bit my bloat is definitely less and my thighs and arms appear to be tightening up a bit. Cellulite doesn't look AS bad and I'm not expecting it to all happen in a week. I just think 6 weeks of maintaining weight is a long time especially with the kick up the backside 2 weeks ago,

I'm determined to get through this. I'm just a bit gutted that I wanted to lose 7lb more by 28th July ( family wedding) which I thought would be easy in 2 months but now I'm left with two weeks it feels a tad unrealistic now!
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    As long as you are eating in deficit you will lose. A 2 week stall (or even longer sometimes) is just that - a stall. Keep Calm and Carry On! This happened to me last month too - it got going again. Worth taking your measurements - lots of people find that they can cheer themselves on through a stall if their measurements change/clothes feel more cofy. Either way - my first sentence applies. Good Luck X
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    rekrapetak wrote: »
    I think my main issue is that I have been dieting since start of April. I was being mindful of what I ate and I lost about 1 stone by end of May. Then I stopped losing so I have actually been maintaining since the first week of June. I started using MFP two weeks ago to try and identify the issue and to try and get as focused on possible with smarter food choices and added exercise. I have checked through paranoia and I'm not pregnant. I guess could it be I'm not eating enough? Might my body be trying to maintain more due to increased cardio workouts. I'm not feeling "Starving" or excessively tired (no more than usual with 2 toddlers). Or could it be water retention??

I think my body is changing shape a bit my bloat is definitely less and my thighs and arms appear to be tightening up a bit. Cellulite doesn't look AS bad and I'm not expecting it to all happen in a week. I just think 6 weeks of maintaining weight is a long time especially with the kick up the backside 2 weeks ago,

I'm determined to get through this. I'm just a bit gutted that I wanted to lose 7lb more by 28th July ( family wedding) which I thought would be easy in 2 months but now I'm left with two weeks it feels a tad unrealistic now!

If you started a new exercise routine, the most likely thing is that your muscles are holding more water for repairs. Carry on and you may see a drop of several pounds in a single day - what's called a "whoosh" of water weight. Seeing that you're female, hormones may be another cause.

Even if you don't feel bad, you should eat the calories you are given or close to it, because too large a deficit over a long period of time will cause you to lose muscle mass, and even hair! It will not, however, slow your weight loss. That is not a thing.
  • snemberton
    snemberton Posts: 175 Member
    Don't use the scale as your only measurement. Do measurements with a good old fashioned tape measure. Have someone take photos of you in as few of clothes as you are comfortable with. Sometimes when that scale hangs for a week or so because of water fluctuations (completely normal), those things will show you that you are still changing for the better, no matter what the silly scale thinks.

For me personally, I fluctuate wildly over the course of a month with water. (Think like looking like I've gained 4lbs overnight some days). My husband just took my 2 month progress photos yesterday and I was shocked at the difference. The scale says I've only lost 12-14 lbs, but my upper body looks quite different. (Stupid fat on my lower body is being more stubborn!) Trust the process. If you know you are doing everything correctly (measuring your food with a scale, eating at a proper deficit, etc.), you will break out of the plateau.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,377 Member
    Slowfaster wrote: »
    You might try adding a little more oil to your diet.

For brain function, some vitamins and good pooping yes, but what other use has adding more calories? (oil is very calorie dense).
  • Slowfaster
    Slowfaster Posts: 185 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    Slowfaster wrote: »
    You might try adding a little more oil to your diet.

For brain function, some vitamins and good pooping yes, but what other use has adding more calories? (oil is very calorie dense).

I agree! In some cases oil can add far too many calories, but if someone has eliminated almost all good* fat from their diet, adding in 120 calories of oil might be worth the extra calories. It can help by making the vitamins they do consume more absorbable.

*Most of the nutrition science you read right now points to mono-unsaturated fats as the good fats. Olive oil and canola oil are both mono-unsaturated. Mono-unsaturated fats are thought to lower cholesterol and can improve cellular functions -- one cellular function is breaking down fat cells into carbon. Just what we want to lose weight.

Rekrapetak may already be getting plenty of fat. Just making a suggestion.

• rekrapetak
    rekrapetak Posts: 18 Member
    I'm now thinking water retention - must be it as I went from no exercise to about 8 days straight of 8km a day. I also think I don't drink enough water maybe to help flush this through.

example days food:
    Breakfast: Banana and small handfull of nuts( weighed out) = 249 calories
    Lunch: Sushi pack, fruit pot = 323 calories
    Dinner: Ham, pepper, onion, light cheese 50g, omelette (2eggs) again weighed incredients, peas and brocolli, 50ml semi skimmed milk =560 calories

Snacks: Blueberries, strawberrys, mini chocolate rice cakes (kaillo)= 166 calories

Total = 1298

Exercise:
    Lunchtime fast walk 4km : 198 active calories
    Dog Walk 5 km = 224 active calories
    Total = 422

Adjusted total: 876

• snemberton
    snemberton Posts: 175 Member
    I'm now thinking water retention - must be it as I went from no exercise to about 8 days straight of 8km a day. I also think I don't drink enough water maybe to help flush this through.

example days food:
    Dinner: Ham, pepper, onion, light cheese 50g, omelette (2eggs) again weighed incredients, peas and brocolli, 50ml semi skimmed milk =560 calories

Snacks: Blueberries, strawberrys, mini chocolate rice cakes (kaillo)= 166 calories

Total = 1298

Exercise:
    Total = 422

Are you not eating back any exercise calories?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

example days food:

Total = 1298

Exercise:
    Total = 422

Yep, it'll be water. You need to eat more though.