Row Machines?

Options
Do to knee and ankle issues I try to avoid hard impact cardio and was pondering if a row machine would be a something to work in as a cardio alternative. Not a main replacement, but something to toss in once or twice a week in place of an elliptical with resistance. Thoughts?

Replies

• JBApplebee
    JBApplebee Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    It burns a good amount of calories, but just make sure you use good form. I used one a few weeks back & I tweaked my back on the 4th pull. I couldn't believe it, it's not like I was pulling like a maniac.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I love my rowing machine (C2) but before investing in one I'd suggest trying one out a few times. If you've got knee problems the repetitive knee bending in the stroke may exacerbate things. Personally I find that it's a great recovery tool the day after a hard run which is counter intuitive. They're great cardio and a full body workout.

If you do decide to buy one go for the best you can afford. The Concept2 models aren't cheap but they're built to give you a lifetime of service and they hold their value fairly well if you decide to sell it in a few years (you may even be lucky enough to find a used one for sale, people that buy them tend to use and keep them)
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I second trying it out in a gym if you can because there's a fair amount of knee and ankle flexion happening on each stroke and depending on your issues it may not be good for you. You can't go wrong with a Concept2, but I have a WaterRower and love it mainly because it can store upright. You have to have a lot of room for a C2.
  • Scubdup
    Scubdup Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I couldn't be without access to a Concept2 - personally I do not think there is a better cardio alternative - but I rowed for a club for a few years, and as others have said, technique is crucial.

A C2 can be stored upright too, but they're big pieces of equipment, for sure.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I second trying it out in a gym if you can because there's a fair amount of knee and ankle flexion happening on each stroke and depending on your issues it may not be good for you. You can't go wrong with a Concept2, but I have a WaterRower and love it mainly because it can store upright. You have to have a lot of room for a C2.

I would agree with this. Try it out first.

You will need ankle flexibility which might be a concern for you depending on your specific issues. And while it is low impact and closed chain, I was not cleared to row right away when I had a knee injury (the degree of bend required was not good for my specific injury).

I have a Concept2 that I really like. I’ve used a cheaper rower and it was awful.

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I love rowing. I use a C2. I have a bad right knee. For me, the elliptical kills my knee. Doesn't feel natural to me. Rowing (done right) is one of the most natural movements you can do. I'd look up videos by Decent Rowing and Dark Horse rowing on YouTube for instruction. Also, if you decide to use a C2, most don't know that the damper (the thing from 1-10 on the side) is not resistance. It's a damper that controls how fast the flywheel slows down. It's like gears on a bike. Most put it on 10 and row. That is so wrong!! For most men, they shouldn't ever have it above 5 and for women, never above 3/4 (depending on how dirty the machine is) unless they are doing sprints -- that's the only time.

Study form especially first and figure out if you like it. Waterrower and C2 are the best by far. I don't personally like the WaterRower as much -- takes a while to get to speed and once you do, it has momentum that keeps it going without as much effort as the C2. There are more expensive (Dynamic Rowers -- those where the machine actually moves -- can cost up to $3K). You can put a C2 on "slides" and the machine moves with each stroke to make it easier on joints.

Also, ensure that your knee doesn't extend beyond 90 degrees vertical (your knee doesn't get over your toes) at the catch (the start of the stroke) -- very important to protect both knees and ankles.

There are also several form discussions on the Concept2 forums. People are very good on that forum offering advice.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    Nothing really to add to what others have said other than another happy C2 owner. Bought mine from Amazon, packed/shipped well right to my door, no fuss whatsoever.
  • Mazda_Mx5
    Mazda_Mx5 Posts: 722 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I love rowing machines .
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I love rowing. I use a C2. I have a bad right knee. For me, the elliptical kills my knee. Doesn't feel natural to me. Rowing (done right) is one of the most natural movements you can do. I'd look up videos by Decent Rowing and Dark Horse rowing on YouTube for instruction. Also, if you decide to use a C2, most don't know that the damper (the thing from 1-10 on the side) is not resistance. It's a damper that controls how fast the flywheel slows down. It's like gears on a bike. Most put it on 10 and row. That is so wrong!! For most men, they shouldn't ever have it above 5 and for women, never above 3/4 (depending on how dirty the machine is) unless they are doing sprints -- that's the only time.

Study form especially first and figure out if you like it. Waterrower and C2 are the best by far. I don't personally like the WaterRower as much -- takes a while to get to speed and once you do, it has momentum that keeps it going without as much effort as the C2. There are more expensive (Dynamic Rowers -- those where the machine actually moves -- can cost up to $3K). You can put a C2 on "slides" and the machine moves with each stroke to make it easier on joints.

Also, ensure that your knee doesn't extend beyond 90 degrees vertical (your knee doesn't get over your toes) at the catch (the start of the stroke) -- very important to protect both knees and ankles.

There are also several form discussions on the Concept2 forums. People are very good on that forum offering advice.

All this.

I have knee problems and rowing is one sport that really agreed with my body. I made incredibly fast gains with no problems.

Back problems can be an issue in rowing though.
  • anothermfpuser
    anothermfpuser Posts: 84 Member
    Options

This is pretty much "it" in a nutshell.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I have a Concept2 that I really like. I’ve used a cheaper rower and it was awful.

^ Definitely agree with this. I used to have a cheap rower (the kind with the hydraulic/gas cylinders) and it was terrible. I used it a few times and it ended up stuffed in a corner of the garage - a complete waste of $500. Our gym has a Concept2 which I use often and there's not even a comparison. If you're going to do it, "buy once, cry once" - spend the money for a Concept2. They're the industry standard for a reason.