Group Mountain bike ride invitation

Options
gearhead426hemi
gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
edited July 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Planning a group ride to the " Plains of Abraham Ape Canyon Trail ", on Friday July 13th in Washington State. This is a chance to ride up a volcano in a beautiful area. We are meeting at the trail head at 14:00. Bring lots of water because it will be hot and dry. Bring your climbing legs because it's around 16 miles round trip with 2500 ft of elevation gain. If anyone is interested feel free to message me. Check out the loop on Trailforks or Singletracks for directions and trail descriptions. Its always more fun to workout as a group and always fun to meet new people with common interests. I do have a couple spare bikes if you live in the area but don't have your own bike.

Replies

• gearhead426hemi
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Here are a few pics of the area for motivation!!!!

x5sx2itpwyul.png
    ja0m99p0x5t0.jpg
    5y4lxfuanyqs.jpg
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    looks beautiful. good luck. i've taken note of this trail's name for "in case of someday" purposes.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Is this all gravel road, or is there some single track too? Do you need an MTB or would a gravel road bike work?
  • gearhead426hemi
    Options
    Is this all gravel road, or is there some single track too? Do you need an MTB or would a gravel road bike work?

It has single track and some roads. It is a hiking trail as well so I would think any bike would work. Check out better descriptions of the trail and conditions on https://www.trailforks.com
    or https://www.singletracks.com. I use both of these aps for all my rides. You are welcome to come no matter what you ride. I do have a couple hardtails that I can bring along if someone wants to ride but doesn't have a bike. I have a Giant Talon XL, and a SM as well.
  • gearhead426hemi
    Options
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »
    looks beautiful. good luck. i've taken note of this trail's name for "in case of someday" purposes.

There's no better time than the present lets go!!
  • Mrsindepenant1
    Mrsindepenant1 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I wish I was closer and could go! We have beautiful mountains here in nz that I really want to cross
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »

There's no better time than the present lets go!!

Trust me, I'm tempted. But there's the short-notice flight (I'm in NJ) and I've not gained hill-quality legs for that challenging a ride - yet (just resumed riding this yr aftr 30+ years off the bike and live in a flat coastal plain area). I used to live outside of Seattle (as a kid, left in 1970), and have memories of pre-eruption St. Helens. The landscape now looks incredible in those photos.

My wife is prepping for a South Seas small-boat sailing voyage in about a year (I not able to go due to med screening params - for all of you, this is a good reason to do exotic/remote things when you're young and fully healthy, because you never know what the future brings). My "consolation prize" was to meet her on her return flight in HI, after I did some bike touring around Volcano National Park (we honeymooned on HI and want to go back). Since Madame Pele is active right now, that might not work out, LOL. I've been perusing the various bike touring catalogs for alternates, and this ride caught my interest. "Maybe, someday ..." it is.

Good luck.
  • gearhead426hemi
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Trail was incredibly difficult but the views were worth the work. 2.5 hours of climbing 2800+ feet of elevation gain.

3hz3tjwf1ec0.jpg
    uax8tij7ahqh.jpg
  • Resistive
    Resistive Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    You can come ride Seven Summits with us August 4th.

21.8 miles, 4921 feet of climbing and over 5000 feet of “weeeeeeeeee”!

I applaud your effort on the volcano ride.

Here is my ride today:

56vofkg49x0j.jpeg
    anuvc4tvjy2n.jpeg