Do you eat whatever you want?

Just getting started and wondered if people eat what they want as long as they stay within calories? Or do you really watch your carbs?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    i follow IIFYM, so i watch calories and macros and eat what i like that fits them both to hit my weekly goal
  • prettyhappyrunning
    prettyhappyrunning Posts: 16 Member
    Ok thank you I will check into it.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    I eat whatever I want while roughly staying within the macro split I've decided works best for me (40C-35F-25P). Your ideal macro split will probably be different, and it may take some trial and error to see what works best for you. Low-carb is not necessary for weight loss, though.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Yah.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Yes and no. I haven't completely eliminated any food besides lattes (which is a temporary thing also related to headaches). But there are definitely foods that went from frequent ingestion to very rare and in much smaller quantities. I took my son to Starbucks for our regular weekly visit before his OT and while he had his chocolate chip cookie & chocolate milk (he's underweight) I had ice water while the car smelled like warm cookie. But that evening after my workout I had enough calories earned back that I indulged in 65g of gelato without any guilt.

Weighing and recording everything sometimes makes me feel like I'm not eating whatever I want even though I'm the one selecting all the foods.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited July 2018
    Well yes and no. There are no "no go foods" but if I want to stay in my calorie range and ratios and feel full that will impact what i eat. if i eat something super high calorie but can only eat a tiny bit i will be pretty hungry the rest of the day! So this means I make smart decisions to eat plenty of food to keep me full, keeping my macros in mind as well.

i don't really watch carbs no. I aim for higher protein and feeling "full" which means lots of veggies and fruit. Plus I eat vegetarian many days which and those proteins tend to have carbs. I don't eat much in the way of breads, rice, pasta (personal choice as they don't "fill me up" enough)
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited July 2018
    Pretty much. I try to makes sure I get enough protein and veggies. I don't hit the mfp computed macros all the time, but I try to make sure protein is above minimum RDA guidelines for my weight. I get lots of carbs and tend to be a little low on fats but not ridiculously low. I am in maintenance after losing weight doing pretty much the same, though the protein I was making sure I got left fewer calories to use however I wanted when losing. I pretty freely push stuff forward to make things work over days, not necessarily every day individually, though I log like it does.

However, logging every single thing is a line in the sand I do not cross. If you are a "clean eater" and look at my diary, you will probably message me to call 911. Today looks particularly bad because I pushed some stuff forward and I have a major calorie burn coming up this afternoon.
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    I do, I pay attention to get enough protein though. I also watch my sodium intake due to high blood pressure.