Spray oil

Options
gmc685
gmc685 Posts: 26 Member
Hey ya’ll! I’ve got a question about spray oil. I use it when I cook, especially with pancakes, and I’m not sure how to log it. The nutrition label says 0 for just about everything, but they list it as 1/4 a second spray. I probably spray for 2-3 full seconds, sometimes more. I just want to make sure I’m not cheating my tracking! Thank you!

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    40 calories approximately?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I've placed the pan on a kitchen scale and then sprayed to see how many grams in the spray. At 9 calories per gram, spray oil adds up fast.
  • gmc685
    Options
    Gosh darn it, I was hoping I found the magic trick to cooking with oil! 🙄 thanks for the feedback!!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    gmc685 wrote: »
    Gosh darn it, I was hoping I found the magic trick to cooking with oil! 🙄 thanks for the feedback!!

I've done it in the past. Not as bad as the example Dianne provided, but yup, it still has calories.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

For one, you can assume right off the bat that zero is actually 5...if something is 5 calories or less, they can put zero. And yeah, that's only for that 1/4 second spray...2-3 seconds is probably closer to 20 calories per second...so like 40-60 calories.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Hey ya’ll! I’ve got a question about spray oil. I use it when I cook, especially with pancakes, and I’m not sure how to log it. The nutrition label says 0 for just about everything, but they list it as 1/4 a second spray. I probably spray for 2-3 full seconds, sometimes more. I just want to make sure I’m not cheating my tracking! Thank you!

I weigh the bottle before and after. I usually use ~2g (~18 calories).
  • ritzvin
    Options

You really can add way, way, way less and get a good coating (this includes spraying it on popcorn) then if you try to drizzle it on or even if you use a non-aerosol spray bottle.. so it does make a huge difference (but yeah- still calories).
  • ritzvin
    Options
    Compared to my usual usage, I would guess "2-3 full seconds" would probably be ~4g (~36 calories).
  • ritzvin
    Options
    Once upon a time there was a poster here who was going through a can of spray oil every couple of days and couldn't figure out why she wasn't losing. Turns out she was adding hundreds of calories to her food without logging them because the can said it was zero calorie.

Now, you aren't using nearly that much and most people don't. I like spray oil and I use a lot less of it than I would regular oil or butter. But it does add up and it is something to be aware of.

I have added 100 calories worth before, but that required a LOT of purposeful spraying - and it was because I was in the mood for movie-style popcorn that night. (That ~100 calories definitely a lot less than what gets globbed on at the theater too though).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,853 Member
    Options
    I put the can on the scale, tare it, spray my pan, put the can back on the scale, and record the negative grams using an accurate database entry for the type of oil . . . or put the pan on the scale, tare, spray, and record the positive gram amount. It's usually a few grams - how many depends on what's being sprayed, and how heavily, of course.
  • gmc685
    Options

Ahh, these are all really helpful suggestions, and I’m grateful to learn that I need to count my oil usage. I love making kodiak cakes in the morning, but I’ll just have to add my oil spray into it! Losing weight is so mathematical. 🙄 i never liked math.
    Thanks for the help everyone!! Xx
  • viajera99
    viajera99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    The actual number (from the PAM people) is 7 Kcalories/1 sec spray. A tsp of olive oil is 40 kcal. After I learned that, I just go with the real thing!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,548 Member
    Options
    I simply use proper oil for cooking and weigh the bottle before and after use. I can cook a lot with just 2-4gr. of oil
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,111 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Not sure where you are but in the UK I buy this, it's 1 cal per spray so easy to calculate
    http://www.frylight.co.uk/
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    I love the simple solutions i never think of like weighing pan or weighing can! I will try this (I rarely use the cans but I do have them handy!)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    This may not be useful because most people aren't messy loggers like me, but I don't like logging spray oil. What I do is log the entire bottle (about 130 grams) in one day and forget about it. I don't eat my exercise calorie for a few days, and there it goes, the entire bottle is accounted for until I buy the next bottle.
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Not sure what brand you are using but for Pam it's about 24 calories for a 3 second spray. There are listings in the food database, search for "Pam - Original Cooking Spray"