Only a stone to lose....but plateaued so early!

Options
AdLibbb
AdLibbb Posts: 14 Member
I’m so frustrated but maybe I shouldn’t be so impatient. For many years I have been around 129 pounds. I got on the scales about 4 weeks ago and got a real fright when I saw I had slowly gained and was 145 pounds. To be fair, I know I have just been eating whatever I want, whenever I want over this past year and it’s totally my own fault. I decided to take myself in hand and got this app which has given me a 1200 calorie daily goal. I am sticking to it religiously and by the end of week 2 I had lost 7 pounds. I didn’t look much different though. However now nothing is happening! In fact I have gained a pound. I am being so strict and disciplined and am hungry all the time...my intake is so much less than I am used to. I don’t understand why the weight is not dropping off me. I am definitely in deficit with my calories so I don’t understand why the weight loss has plateaued. I know it’s only another 10 pounds, but I just want them off! Any reassurance and tips gratefully received as I hate dieting and feeling so hungry 😐

Replies

• AdLibbb
    Options
    you need to reset your calorie deficit to 1lb max, and be more patient

Why is it so essential? Please can you explain?
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Yay! You might also find you're not as hungry. Which makes the process more manageable.
  • AdLibbb
    Options
    Hi guys, I hope you don’t mind but I need a bit more support and reassurance. So after waking up to 2 lbs weight loss, I woke up the following day to having put back 1 lb. I didn’t panic. I figured it must just be water weight and my body adjusting....just thought I should keep doing what I’m doing. Trust in the process. But today I have woken up and have put back another pound! I have generally upped my calories to around 1300 from 1200 and now the weight seems to be going back on. I am just being so careful and disciplined logging everything, snacking on cucumber whilst my husband has chocolate. It isn’t fair 😐 What’s going on?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    For someone who has so little to lose, it may take up to two months to start noticing trends. The readings are often too noisy with natural fluctuations that any loss or gain may get drowned out by these fluctuations. Be patient.
  • AdLibbb
    Options
    For someone who has so little to lose, it may take up to two months to start noticing trends. The readings are often too noisy with natural fluctuations that any loss or gain may get drowned out by these fluctuations. Be patient.
    But I thought, according to this app, I should be losing a pound a week so why the two month wait? It is so disheartening. I just know when I compare my recent eating and intake with the volume and stuff I have been eating over the past year that my body should be dropping the weight with the contrast. Can you give me a guide as to how patient I need to be. I am sorry if I am being a pain and annoying....I guess I’m just living this every day with the hope and disappointment and the extra weight is really bothering me.

Incidentally, should it take just as much patience to put the weight back on?!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    AdLibbb wrote: »
    But I thought, according to this app, I should be losing a pound a week so why the two month wait? It is so disheartening. I just know when I compare my recent eating and intake with the volume and stuff I have been eating over the past year that my body should be dropping the weight with the contrast. Can you give me a guide as to how patient I need to be. I am sorry if I am being a pain and annoying....I guess I’m just living this every day with the hope and disappointment and the extra weight is really bothering me.

You need at least 6 weeks data to get a trend, if you weigh a few times a week.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Yes! While most people notice a substantial weight gain all in one traumatic moment, they have actually been slowly gaining for months and years. They just weren't desperately paying attention every day.

Ask anyone on here trying to gain weight, and they'll tell you it requires just as much patience. It can take years to gain appreciable muscle.

Women have to deal with water weight fluctuations throughout the month of sometimes several lbs. It can easily mask 0.5lb - 1 lb gains and losses. That's why we tell women to be patient for at least 6 weeks at a time.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Yes! While most people notice a substantial weight gain all in one traumatic moment, they have actually been slowly gaining for months and years. They just weren't desperately paying attention every day.

Ask anyone on here trying to gain weight, and they'll tell you it requires just as much patience. It can take years to gain appreciable muscle.

Women have to deal with water weight fluctuations throughout the month of sometimes several lbs. It can easily mask 0.5lb - 1 lb gains and losses. That's why we tell women to be patient for at least 6 weeks at a time.

and there is a massive difference between gaining 'weight' and gaining actual fat.
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Also keep in mind that scales may not be extremely accurate or precise. If your scale only displays to the nearest whole pound, a difference of as little as 0.1 lbs may display as 1. For example, difference between 134.4 (displays as 134) and 134.5 (displays as 135). And the scale might not be completely repeatable (the same true weight may display a different number at different times, depending on how you stood on it, or if the scale was moved slightly, or some other variation.
    So try not to overreact to small day to day changes in the number on the scale. Over time, as you lose more weight, those small variations in scale measurement become less significant to the overall trend.
  • mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12
    mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I’m really similar to you. Was happily living my life consistently around 117Ib then I changed jobs, got out of routine and next thing you know eating junk every day. Bam - I’m 137 Ibs!

Took myself in hand. I’m short so 1200 calories is a good goal for me to lose on. First few weeks I was religious about weighing and measuring and I lost nothing! It’s so frustrating.

But that’s always how it goes for me, so I kept at it despite the frustrating number on the scales and now, 8 weeks later I’m 126Ib :-) just 10 more to go and I’ll be a happy bunny!

My experience is that it can take weeks for your body to catch up with your calories. I’m tracking my weight every day on happy scale so I can better understand how I lose weight. What I see is that for me, I lose in chunks - and even seem to put on a Ib before I lose a big chunk.

Keep at it, you’ll be proud of yourself when you see the scale shift, it just might take a few weeks to register :-)
  • AdLibbb
    Options
    Hi everyone, I’m really grateful for all the further responses. I don’t think all my notifications are coming through though so sorry for the delayed reply!

The person who wrote about my story being similar to them...that was good to read. I am just getting so frustrated. I seem to have been stuck for 2-3 weeks and I just want to see a new number appear on the scales! What is this “happy scale” you mention? I know what you mean about putting a pound on before you lose...I went back up to 9 stone 12!

Can I ask everyone, does it matter WHEN you eat? Does this affect weight loss. often eat late because my husband comes home late and I like us to eat together. Then I weigh myself first thing. I am thinking that I have only ever seen the 9 stone 10 when I have been out social dancing the night before (so perspired a lot of water) or when I didn’t eat after 7pm.

Also the person who mentioned the increments on the scale....that is a good point and maybe I should change to kilos!

I have to say that having around 1300 to 1400 calories as opposed to my original 1200 to eat every day is making me less starving hungry. However because it seems to have stopped me seeing results I am tempted to go back down to my strict 1200!

I do a lot of steps every day because I walk the dog but I am worried I shouldn’t be taking that into account as calories added back? It isn’t exercise as such, just long walks which I have done for years.

Sorry guys to go on....I am just feeling totally demotivated 😐