A general question about dehydration...

Options
It's absolutely THAT time of year.
hot, sunny, and I'm grateful for every last minute of it!

However.
Call me crazy (because I might just be)-- BUT: for the last two days, when I've stepped on the scale, I've received different readouts each time.
(neurosis alert: When I weigh in, I step on the scale 3 times 1st thing in the morning to be sure it's an accurate reading)
I assume (obvs: I'm NOT a doctor) this might mean I'm dehydrated?

am I losing it? Or has anyone else experienced something similar?

thanks for your help.

Replies

• hsmith0930
    hsmith0930 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    So each of the 6 readings has been different? That seems like maybe you need new batteries.

If you mean yesterday to today is different, or morning to night is different, you may not be dehydrated, but water weight will fluctuate.
  • Johnd2000
    Johnd2000 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Or it might mean the scale is on an uneven surface. Mine does that unless I position it direct over a floor joist. Took me ages to work out what was happening.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    When I was over 300lb there weren't many scales that would give an accurate reading. A 1% inaccuracy would make a 3lb difference. I could stand a bit different and make a 5lb swing both up and down. I too was neurotic about it, so I got an old fashion balance scale like they used to use at the doctor office. it takes up a lot of space, but oh so accurate.

Using it I will still weigh much heavier at end of day than at beginning, so I now weigh every Thursday morning second thing after I wake up. your first guess of what I do first is probably right.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Hydrated / dehydrated isn't a binary thing - you have a range of hydration levels and therefore weight.

BTW
    It's not clear is you are simply saying you weighed differently on two days (totally normal) or each of your multiple hops on the scales gave different reading (a problem with your scales).
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    It does sound like a problem with the scales. Dehydration is easy to determine by urine color or worse a lack of urine. Your urine will normally be dark in the morning and then get substantially lighter after each visit if you are properly hydrated.