Help!?!

Options
Trying to grow glutes, I weight train and was noticing a huge difference in my glutes.. then I noticed it went down. What am I doing wrong? Also I am struggling getting some protein in with low-fat.. could this be my issue? I am a vegetarian so if that helps to better understand why the lack.

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Are you noticing they look better the day after you do the weight training? Muscles retain water for repair, so it creates the look of increased muscle, but it's only temporary.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Are you eating at maintenance or in a surplus? Are you getting adequate protein ?
    The glutes will require calories to grow. Also what kind of programming are you running? A progressive lifting program with focus on glutes (something like Strong Curves) is going to be your best bet.
  • imaproudmomma
    imaproudmomma Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Are you noticing they look better the day after you do the weight training? Muscles retain water for repair, so it creates the look of increased muscle, but it's only temporary.
    No I noticed a great lift 1.5in in my glutes and a tone down in my hamstrings everyday and it got better.
  • imaproudmomma
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Are you eating at maintenance or in a surplus? Are you getting adequate protein ?
    The glutes will require calories to grow. Also what kind of programming are you running? A progressive lifting program with focus on glutes (something like Strong Curves) is going to be your best bet.

Im eating at a maintenance of mostly macros nothing else really and I take supplements, and drink protein shakes, BCAAs. I do all kinds of glute training in the gym I switch it up so my body doesn’t get programmed to the same movements and stop growth and then it just stopped. Is it because I missed the gym for a week? About two weeks ago?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    First I would follow a program and not just random things. That is probably the main issue. One week away from the gym might cause some water loss in the muscles so maybe that is what you noticed?

Next as long as you are getting 0.8-1g protein per lb bodyweight that's fine. BCAA's I've heard there is not much benefit to them but since you are vegetarian they might be helpful for you, maybe, maybe not. I've never taken them so I don't know very much about them.

Growing the glutes at maintenance can be very very slow. Months.. years. What are your stats? If you are fairly lean you may not get as much out of recomp vs. if you ran a bulk. It really depends on your stats, goals and how you want to go about it.

• imaproudmomma
    Options
    First I would follow a program and not just random things. That is probably the main issue. One week away from the gym might cause some water loss in the muscles so maybe that is what you noticed?

Next as long as you are getting 0.8-1g protein per lb bodyweight that's fine. BCAA's I've heard there is not much benefit to them but since you are vegetarian they might be helpful for you, maybe, maybe not. I've never taken them so I don't know very much about them.

Growing the glutes at maintenance can be very very slow. Months.. years. What are your stats? If you are fairly lean you may not get as much out of recomp vs. if you ran a bulk. It really depends on your stats, goals and how you want to go about it.
    I’m very active and lean with a little bit of toning I’m working on as well. Thank you for the insight on this!
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options

I’m very active and lean with a little bit of toning I’m working on as well. Thank you for the insight on this!

What supplements do you speak of?

If you're looking to "tone" and "grow" your goals are contradictory to each other. You'll likely need to pick one or the other. One involves losing weight the other gaining it.

Get on a structured program. Your body doesn't become programmed to something. It adapts to a stimulus. If you want to ensure it doesn't. Follow proper progressive overload and use increased weights as new stimulus.

Chances are you lost a significant amount of water weight due to taking a week off along with a sudden change of routine to which your body doesn't respond to as well.

Possibly look into adding a few calories and a change of programming. Hopefully something glute specific