Undereating? Not on purpose just change in appetite?

Options
Lately I've been feeling really content between 800-1100 calories a day. I'm not trying to eat in that range it just kind of happens. Even if I have a 'cheat' or if I'm with friends and let myself have a slice of pizza, I end up still eating very little on paper. I triple check to make sure I'm not calculating incorrectly. Should I make myself eat anyway? Like have a 300 calorie snack at night? I work graveyard so sometimes I don't feel like eating during my shift but if it's "healthier" to munch on something during the night shift I will. What do you guys suggest? Does anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Just have some nuts or peanut butter. Something that is calorie dense but you don't have to eat much. That is what I do.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    If you have ever struggled with being overweight, and you're not starting into eating disorders, your appetite will come back long before you're risking any damage. Learning to get to know your appetite, and at the same time not letting it control you, is an important part of weight managment.

Normally I just write these kinds of stories off as down to incorrect logging, but I am a little concerned about sometimes I don't feel like eating during my shift but if it's "healthier" to munch on something during the night shift I will. Eating too little is as unhealthy as it gets, foods in isolation aren't healthy or unhealthy, you can't have a healthy diet without a heathy relationship with food. Typical "diet" foods are that because they tend to fill you up for few calories and not stimulate your appetite. In theory, it's a good idea, but in practice, in the real world, appetite always comes back with a vengeance. Going to either extreme is the easy way out, and unhealthy; finding balance is difficult, but necessary if you want to be healthy.
  • Mads5715
    Mads5715 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If you have ever struggled with being overweight, and you're not starting into eating disorders, your appetite will come back long before you're risking any damage. Learning to get to know your appetite, and at the same time not letting it control you, is an important part of weight managment.

Normally I just write these kinds of stories off as down to incorrect logging, but I am a little concerned about sometimes I don't feel like eating during my shift but if it's "healthier" to munch on something during the night shift I will. Eating too little is as unhealthy as it gets, foods in isolation aren't healthy or unhealthy, you can't have a healthy diet without a heathy relationship with food. Typical "diet" foods are that because they tend to fill you up for few calories and not stimulate your appetite. In theory, it's a good idea, but in practice, in the real world, appetite always comes back with a vengeance. Going to either extreme is the easy way out, and unhealthy; finding balance is difficult, but necessary if you want to be healthy.

I'm not very heavy, just a few pounds over what I want. So that's why this confuses me. I'm not trying to eat less than the recommendation for my weight but most days it just happens. Is it better to incorporate some 'unhealthy' foods for the added calories or just to make my meals larger? I'm not really sure how to go about it. I don't mind eating more. It's not an issue. But the way to go about it is where I have issues. For instance, I love chips but I don't eat them anymore. I'd be super happy if I just filled in the extra calories with a small handful of chips but I don't necessarily think it's healthy to do that? I should eat something better but in the end does it matter as long as I eat well most of the day? I eat mostly veggies and non-meat proteins with the occasional dressing or dip for flavor if I feel like it.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Mads5715 wrote: »

I'm not very heavy, just a few pounds over what I want. So that's why this confuses me. I'm not trying to eat less than the recommendation for my weight but most days it just happens. Is it better to incorporate some 'unhealthy' foods for the added calories or just to make my meals larger? I'm not really sure how to go about it. I don't mind eating more. It's not an issue. But the way to go about it is where I have issues. For instance, I love chips but I don't eat them anymore. I'd be super happy if I just filled in the extra calories with a small handful of chips but I don't necessarily think it's healthy to do that? I should eat something better but in the end does it matter as long as I eat well most of the day? I eat mostly veggies and non-meat proteins with the occasional dressing or dip for flavor if I feel like it.

How much fat do you eat a day - your food diary description sounds potentially very low fat and would explain your low calorie intake. Adding more fats would be helpful in adding calories.
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Hi,

How long has this been going on for? How is your weight? Are you dropping weight quickly or staying about the same? Are you exercising? How are your protein levels? How tall are you and how much do you weigh? Are you actively trying to lose weight? Do you eat out a lot?

Also: Why don't you think it's healthy to eat chips? If you're getting enough nutrients from the rest of your food, why would suddenly eating some chips make it unhealthy? In fact, if you're lacking in things like fats, then chips could be a good method for adding this necessary foodgroup.

Terms like "healthy" and "unhealthy" are not black and white. Anything can be considered "healthy" if you're short on the nutrients that you can get from it.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Eat the chips. Foods do not really come in categories of healthy and non-healthy. Focus on eating to your calorie goal. If you do not want to eat during your shift, eat before or after. Some ideas: hummus, avocado, bacon, full fat dairy, ice cream, tuna, and salmon, small steak or pork chop, dark meat chicken.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    My appetite is also suseptable to the same. I suggest a sweet high carb treat to make up the difference between 800 calories and 1200 calories if you come up short. Or icecream if you want. If you are vegan, then a vegan alternative icecream snack at the end of the day could be perfect. Also, as someone suggested a nut butter and yogurt combination is also a nice way to add a few calories. I like almond or peanut butter. Usually appetite will increase if you go ahead and eat a few more calorie dense foods and eat up to the 1200 calorie level.

Are you getting a lot of excersize? If you are excersizing a lot, that can reduce appetite in some people ( I'm one of these myself). If that is the case with you too then you would up your calories until you are feeling more natural hunger, keeping the excesize level the same. If your activity level is not work related, you could lower the amount of calories expended by activity, (become less active) and keep your calorie level the same.
  • Mads5715
    Options
    Deviette wrote: »
    Hi,

How long has this been going on for? How is your weight? Are you dropping weight quickly or staying about the same? Are you exercising? How are your protein levels? How tall are you and how much do you weigh? Are you actively trying to lose weight? Do you eat out a lot?

Also: Why don't you think it's healthy to eat chips? If you're getting enough nutrients from the rest of your food, why would suddenly eating some chips make it unhealthy? In fact, if you're lacking in things like fats, then chips could be a good method for adding this necessary foodgroup.

Terms like "healthy" and "unhealthy" are not black and white. Anything can be considered "healthy" if you're short on the nutrients that you can get from it.

This has been going on for about a month. I'm a very short girl and my weight is at the upper end of a healthy BMI for my age and height. However, I honestly haven't weighed myself in a few weeks because I only weigh in at the doctors so I'm not 100% sure. Physically, I've been slimming down at a seemingly average rate. Not fast but seeing a difference now. I do want to lose a little more fat but I want to gain muscle over time. I hardly ever eat out. I make most of my food at home at the beginning of the week and take it with me. The reason why I've labelled some foods as 'unhealthy' is because even though my calories are a little too low I worry about my carbs. I mostly eat veggies and non-meat proteins as I said but I always seem to go over the recommendation for carbs. I could just be over thinking it though.
  • Mads5715
    Options

How much fat do you eat a day - your food diary description sounds potentially very low fat and would explain your low calorie intake. Adding more fats would be helpful in adding calories.

Thank you, I'll be more mindful of that. I do eat avocado and peanutbutter sometimes but maybe I should try and find some other foods with fat content.
  • Mads5715
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »
    My appetite is also suseptable to the same. I suggest a sweet high carb treat to make up the difference between 800 calories and 1200 calories if you come up short. Or icecream if you want. If you are vegan, then a vegan alternative icecream snack at the end of the day could be perfect. Also, as someone suggested a nut butter and yogurt combination is also a nice way to add a few calories. I like almond or peanut butter. Usually appetite will increase if you go ahead and eat a few more calorie dense foods and eat up to the 1200 calorie level.

Are you getting a lot of excersize? If you are excersizing a lot, that can reduce appetite in some people ( I'm one of these myself). If that is the case with you too then you would up your calories until you are feeling more natural hunger, keeping the excesize level the same. If your activity level is not work related, you could lower the amount of calories expended by activity, (become less active) and keep your calorie level the same.

In all honesty, I don't take the time to exercise how I would like. However, I do spend most of my work-day on my feet, lifting heavy things etc. At times I can spend 10-16 hours working with little to no breaks. So I am fairly active, more so than I was before. That may be one of the reasons?
  • strongwouldbenice
    strongwouldbenice Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Hi,

This has been going on for about a month. I'm a very short girl and my weight is at the upper end of a healthy BMI for my age and height. However, I honestly haven't weighed myself in a few weeks because I only weigh in at the doctors so I'm not 100% sure. Physically, I've been slimming down at a seemingly average rate. Not fast but seeing a difference now. I do want to lose a little more fat but I want to gain muscle over time. I hardly ever eat out. I make most of my food at home at the beginning of the week and take it with me. The reason why I've labelled some foods as 'unhealthy' is because even though my calories are a little too low I worry about my carbs. I mostly eat veggies and non-meat proteins as I said but I always seem to go over the recommendation for carbs. I could just be over thinking it though.

It's not a huge deal to go over your carbs if that's the way you enjoy eating but it is important to be getting enough fat. When I was first starting out I didn't like "wasting" calories on higher fat things but as time has gone by I realised how much more satisfying meals are that have a little fat. Add some goat's cheese, olives, sun-dried tomatoes, sesame seeds, pesto. It'll bump your calories to a reasonable place and probably make your food more exciting and easy to stick to in the long run.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Carbs aren't bad - you can't say carbs are unhealthy but then say you eat mostly vegies. Vegies and plant foods are mostly carbs.
    Going over carbs but having calories left suggests again that you're eating low fat... And potentially lower protein.
  • ACanadian22
    ACanadian22 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    @Mads5715 Would it be the heat? It is tougher at this time of the year for me as well
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 978 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    This has been going on for about a month. I'm a very short girl and my weight is at the upper end of a healthy BMI for my age and height. However, I honestly haven't weighed myself in a few weeks because I only weigh in at the doctors so I'm not 100% sure.

It might be a good idea to invest in some scales. If you think you're under eating then you may way have lost weight. When it comes to undereating you need to keep and eye on your weight, because actually it is a very good indicator on how healthy you are. If you're losing weight and you don't think you should be, then you need to up the calories. It's as simple as that.
    Physically, I've been slimming down at a seemingly average rate. Not fast but seeing a difference now. I do want to lose a little more fat but I want to gain muscle over time.

If you want to gain muscle you will need to start eating more. It's very difficult to gain any muscle at a deficit, and if you're under eating, you might find that you're actually losing muscle mass.
    Also, it's not clear from your response, but if you do currently exercise then you should definitely be eating more calories on your days when you're exercising.
    The reason why I've labelled some foods as 'unhealthy' is because even though my calories are a little too low I worry about my carbs. I mostly eat veggies and non-meat proteins as I said but I always seem to go over the recommendation for carbs. I could just be over thinking it though.

Unless you have a medical reason to avoid carbs, then you probably are over thinking it. I don't know what "recommendation for carbs" you're following, but there really isn't one. I regularly eat about 40-50% of my calories from carbs, but that's a personal preference. Carbs are getting bad rep at the moment, but they are not "unhealthy". How your macros balance is really up to you and what works for you. Some find it easier to make their calories on a low carb diet, some find it easier to make their calories on a higher carb diet. What really matters is the total number of calories.
    If you like the low carb, try eating more protein and more fats
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Choose more calorie dense foods. Calorie dense does not have to equal unhealthy. There are many nutritious calorie dense foods that can be part of a healthy diet.
    If you are not getting much fat then that is a good place to start. Your body does need fat to function well. Avocado, full fat dairy products, whole eggs, nuts or seeds, salmon, olive oil, edamame are some sources you might have.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
    Also you could drink a glass of whole milk or have a smoothie or shake if it is difficult to eat all your calories.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

You are right. My appetite came roaring back....
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Instead of worrying about too many carbs, make sure you are getting enough protein and healthy fat within your calorie allowance and the carbs will take care of themselves.

It's not unusual for someone used to eating mainly calorie-dense processed food to find that switching to mainly fresh foods fills them up much faster so they aren't as hungry. But do eat. What you're doing now is fine in the short term, but in the long run it can hurt you, starting with hair loss, muscle loss, and even heart damage!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    This is common when implementing a deficit. Your willpower and awareness is high and this may have an impact on your appetite, but it won't last.

This is where it pays off to build habits that will support your health goals in those times when your willpower and awareness is low.

When I hit times like this I eat a small snack - largely as I know I'll need that energy later to fuel a workout.