Freelance Online Article rates

Options
amelia_atlantic
amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
Hey everyone,

Sorry, this isn't fitness related.

I recently signed up for elance.com and just got a reply to my first bid!

It's for a 200/word article for a lifestyles/trend blog (similar to Examiner.com). This particular bid is just for this one article with potential of becoming a regular thing.

I have written for Examiner and kept up a wordpress for a local photography company but I don't have much more experience than that. I'm a Communications/Marketing major and I'm trying to build up a portfolio before I graduate.

Does anyone know what the average rate for this one article would be? I've read conflicting info that online article fees are charged per article (max $50 for a 200 word) or up to $1 per word. I feel like asking $200 ($1/word) is way too much considering my limited experience. I don't want to lowball myself but I also don't want to set the bar so high that I lose the bid.

Any advice would be great! Thanks!

Replies

• leahsevilla
    leahsevilla Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I look at it per hour. How long would it take you to write the article about? I usually charge $50/hour, (but I have 4 years experience), and make sure to consider revision rounds as well.
  • BRFMcKay
    BRFMcKay Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am an editor on Elance but still relatively new. $1/hour is way too high on that site, unless you are very experienced.

I charge $8.50 per hour for my editing skills, because I am new, or $.03 to $.05 per word.

But since you are a writer, it takes a lot more effort. How much research are you going to do? How long would it take you to write it? I would say if it takes you an hour and not much research, charge $20-25. If there needs to be more research/interviews, charge $35-40.