Motivation?

Options
I can't remember which thread I read it on, but someone posted about how when they were in uni, grades motivated them to get their writing assignments in on time. They went on to say that they used that memory to get their current writing assignments done, and how that mentality transferred to fitness.

It got me thinking about similar things where I was "motivated" to get things done by some possible penalty. Don't complete uni assignments? Those penalties could have snowballed until I flunked out and wasted a whole bunch of money. Don't go to work? Those penalties can also snowball to where I would be pushing my belongings around in a shopping cart.

It occurred to me that if I was penalized with fees every time I was overdrawn on my daily/weekly calorie "account", the same way I would be if my bank accounts were overdrawn, being the thrifty individual I am ;) I would definitely stay within my budget without fail.

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    I've read on here many times where people equate their calorie allotment as money in the bank. When the calories / money is gone, no more eating / spending. I think it's a good idea.

I know you can't do this if you log your food here, but if you keep a written log or a log on a Word document or something try putting the $ sign in front of all your calories. It may "trick" your mind into doing what you mentioned in your last sentence.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    I pay as I go. Ayup. I equate my tracking to fueling up my vehicle to keep it in decent running order. I don't wait until the end of the day to see if I budgeted correctly. When I go out to eat, I must pick up the tab and pay immediately. It really is that simple.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    I've read on here many times where people equate their calorie allotment as money in the bank. When the calories / money is gone, no more eating / spending. I think it's a good idea.

I know you can't do this if you log your food here, but if you keep a written log or a log on a Word document or something try putting the $ sign in front of all your calories. It may "trick" your mind into doing what you mentioned in your last sentence.

I've found myself saying that a food is "too expensive" when I mean that it's too high in calories to fit my day. (:
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You ARE penalized by cheating your calories or skipping workouts. You are penalizing your health,as anyone who’s been there can attest. Only problem is that it’s not as immediate or graphic as some of the other penalties you mention.
  • HeyJudii
    HeyJudii Posts: 264 Member
    Options

I've found myself saying that a food is "too expensive" when I mean that it's too high in calories to fit my day. (:

Same here. I already thought of it as my calorie budget, it was the realization how much more reluctant I would be to go over on the weekend and how much more strict I would be if it cost me actual money if I went over my budget.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I've been waiting for MFP to invent a refrigerator and pantry lock that can be activated by my calorie log, when I've used up the calories the locks lock and I'm out of luck. Then of course there's the human shock collar idea.......
  • HeyJudii
    HeyJudii Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    mulecanter wrote: »
    I've been waiting for MFP to invent a refrigerator and pantry lock that can be activated by my calorie log, when I've used up the calories the locks lock and I'm out of luck. Then of course there's the human shock collar idea.......

:D:D:D