I don't have access to the gym

Options
2»

Replies

• sweetkisses143
    sweetkisses143 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I can't afford the gym right now either. I walk with my puppy and I do this workout I made. I can do it at home and it has really helped me lose 50;bs. I need 70 more lbs to go! :) Good luck!

https://youtu.be/Ed8yj1J-JSw
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I can't afford the gym right now either. I walk with my puppy and I do this workout I made. I can do it at home and it has really helped me lose 50;bs. I need 70 more lbs to go! :) Good luck!

https://youtu.be/Ed8yj1J-JSw

This looks really fun. All I could think watching it was "I'm going to need a better bra".

I am losing my gym membership in a week or so, DH got laid off and can't really afford it on unemployment. Going to have to find some things to do like this.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I just cut calories and got some DVDs like 30 day shred, borrowed some from the library (The Firm and Denise Austin). I liked the workouts that used dumbbells/strength mixed with cardio since I wasn't in the gym lifting yet.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Oh and I did want to add, I went to the gym with no change in weight (although I did lose inches) for months before I started watching calories. When I started tracking food and watching macros, the weight started dropping. Losing weight is 90%+ diet.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight without exercising at all. Exercise helps with strength, appearance, and other goals, and allows you to eat a little more, but it's not the most important part of a weight loss plan. The most important part is making sure that you are consistently eating fewer calories than you burn.

That being said, I run, hike, walk, and do dumbbell/bodyweight strength training at home.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    Walking and hiking are good (I use the zombies!run app for entertainment during long tedious walks to the shops). For strength work I can thoroughly recommend DAREBEE, which has a whole bunch of routines for different levels of fitness, many of which require no equipment at all (not even dumbbells).
  • love_yourself02
    love_yourself02 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    There is this channel you can use on youtube its walk at home leslie sanone some of the videos are harder than others but u can explore that
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I use apps that pay me for walking - Sweatcoin and StepBet are both great.

Sweatcoin sucks it took me years and haven't been able to cash out since it only counts outside steps and limits the amount you can actually get. Is stepbet better?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I use apps that pay me for walking - Sweatcoin and StepBet are both great.

Sweatcoin sucks it took me years and haven't been able to cash out since it only counts outside steps and limits the amount you can actually get. Is stepbet better?

Stepbet doesn't pay you for the number of steps. You pay a certain amount for a game, and you need to hit certain step goals every day until the end of the game. If you manage to hit all the goals, you get your money back plus a little bit more if there are people who didn't make their goals. If you miss your goals, you lose your money and it's split among other participants.

The most common type of game is 4 active days (not very hard to reach), 2 stretch days (slightly harder but not impossible) and one rest day where you get to take as many or as few steps as you like, repeats weekly until the end of the game (games are 4-8 weeks, but most commonly 6). These goals are calculated based on your step history in the app/tracker you choose to link with the game, so it isn't the same goal for everyone.

ETA: you can only join one game at a time unless you pay for membership. I think a membership is worth it because you get to play 3 games at the same time so it eventually pays for itself, plus you get a higher bonus payment when you win because they don't take a 15% cut from money pot like they do with non-member games.
  • Fitforevermore
    Fitforevermore Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I use YouTube videos alongside heLthily eating in deficit. I love kettle bell workouts bodyfit by Amy, hasfit and fitness blender. I have kids and can't get to the gym
  • Losingweightforgood2019
    Options
    We have a park here that has many of the exercise machines you see in a gym outside. It uses your own body for weight. Whoever thought of it, was a good idea.
    I usually Power walk the neighborhood, videos, (just started back running) I have my own set of barbells for strength training and a ball with the stretch rubber rope with handles (name?).
    Some of these items can easily be found in thrift stores.
  • gypsygrl78
    gypsygrl78 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love BOD!
  • niknak8800
    niknak8800 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have a gym membership, but most of my exercise is actually from walking. Don't beed a gym membership to walk :)
  • TayaCurragh
    TayaCurragh Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I started with the gym but I really didn't enjoy it so I decided to stop going. Instead I do YouTube videos at home. My favourite channel is fitnessblender, I mostly use their videos. They do everything, cardio, hiit, strength training with bodyweight or with dumbells. After a while I decided to buy a cheap weight set which cost me about £30.

It is definitely possible to lose weight without the gym, I suggest trying different things and see what works best for you!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm not using a gym right now. I lose weight by controlling how much I eat. I get fit by exercising. This month it's riding my bike to and from work. I also like running. Often there are charity runs and walks that you can sign up for. Sometimes various fitness clubs have free outdoor events like Zumba or Yoga that you can attend to try out.

For fitness I figure find something fun because that's something you will keep doing.
  • literallyhavenoidea
    literallyhavenoidea Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 100 pounds and without going to the gym at all!! Nutrition is KEY to weight loss and maintaining it! As far as workouts go, youtube has a TON of free workout videos! Fitness blender has a lot of workouts and a good amount made for beginners!
  • MixedbarbieMOM1991
    MixedbarbieMOM1991 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone this thread was very helpful and has given me motivation 🙃.
  • moulds2tasha
    moulds2tasha Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you can, get some old 80's/90's workout tapes. A lot of them have some pretty intense cardio. I know this sounds like a joke but I'm serious.
  • maryjennifer
    maryjennifer Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    You don't need the gym, just workout at home, see below tons of free workouts:

https://www.changeinseconds.com/fitness-workout-routines/