Popcorn - Never again

Options
I finally counted all calories in making popcorn last night. Even in a wok, it took 7 tablespoons of Peanut Oil to get enough in the bottom of the wok to pop popcorn. Then I measured out 6 tablespoons of Orville Reddenbacher kernels. Total calories to pop this way:

120 cals per tablespoon peanut oil, x 7 = 840 calories
120 cals per serving kernels (x 2 for 6 table spoons) = 240 calories
Total Calories before salt and grated parmesan cheese 1,089 calories

I then backed up and punted and ate yogurt with 1/2 cup of cashews mixed in for a much lower calorie evening snack.

Time to purchase a new hot air popcorn popper..........

It is painful to finally take the blinders off and measure and calculate ALL calories in everything that I eat, but obviously I have to if I am serious about accurately burning calories over time. This was a blind spot that needed addressing (oil popped popcorn).

Replies

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    When I want low calorie popcorn, I pop it in a paper bag in the microwave. (Edit: I'm referring to putting some kernels in a brown paper lunch sack, not a bag of prepackaged microwave popcorn.)
    No oil at all, but you do need to be VERY careful to make sure it doesn't burn, and you shouldn't expect every kernel to pop--it will burn before that happens. It does come out a bit bland like this, so I recommend adding a small amount of oil or other liquid flavoring (so it will stick to dry popcorn) after it pops.

When I want oily salty goodness, I use a Whirly Pop pot. 0.75 to 1 ounce of oil for 4 ounces of kernels, plus seasonings. If you split that bowl with one other person, you would have about 300 calories each.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    When I want low calorie popcorn, I pop it in a paper bag in the microwave. (Edit: I'm referring to putting some kernels in a brown paper lunch sack, not a bag of prepackaged microwave popcorn.)
    No oil at all, but you do need to be VERY careful to make sure it doesn't burn, and you shouldn't expect every kernel to pop--it will burn before that happens. It does come out a bit bland like this, so I recommend adding a small amount of oil or other liquid flavoring (so it will stick to dry popcorn) after it pops.

When I want oily salty goodness, I use a Whirly Pop pot. 0.75 to 1 ounce of oil for 4 ounces of kernels, plus seasonings. If you split that bowl with one other person, you would have about 300 calories each.

I use these for microwave popcorn. They pop just as many kernels as stovetop.

https://smile.amazon.com/Original-HOTPOP-Microwave-Collapsible-Dishwasher/dp/B01M1CJNXH/
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's has air-popped popcorn. SO good!
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    You don't need an air popper, you can actually throw kernels in to a regular old brown paper bag, and microwave.
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options

https://smile.amazon.com/Original-HOTPOP-Microwave-Collapsible-Dishwasher/dp/B01M1CJNXH/

I use a similar product, works great... hardly any unpopped kernels and never have an issue with burning!

To get salt or other seasonings to stick I spray a little vinegar or sometimes water. My favorite is to mix a touch of water, some liquid sucralose, and vanilla... tastes just like kettle corn.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I started using my smallest pot to make less popcorn at a time because if I cook it I will eat right away not divide it into small portions for days. I have an air popper on my wish list.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options

I can see the benefit of that, but then I have to buy a thing and have it take up space in my kitchen. Little paper bags are free for me because my grocery store provides them for produce. I just put away my fruit and save the bag.
  • autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    I can confirm that the stovetop poppers can do fine with a teaspoon of oil and up to 100g of corn in a single batch. My brother got me one for Christmas, and it's one of my favorite kitchen gadgets. https://www.amazon.com/Great-Northern-Popcorn-Stainless-Stove/dp/B00608D66G/ref=sr_1_7_sspa?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1531505694&sr=1-7-spons&keywords=back+to+basics+stovetop+popper&psc=1
  • PWRLFTR1
    PWRLFTR1 Posts: 324 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Couldn't you just make less? I only use 1 tbsp of oil and 1/4 cup of kernels. I agree with using a smaller pot.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Never say never, it will come back to bite you in the rearend. Do everything on your own terms. You lurve popcorn. Make less or measure your portion out. That is all.
  • walking2running
    walking2running Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    i pop a huge amount ( on the stove top) and then i divide into reasonable portions in ziplock bags