Polar H10 - Wahoo Tickr X

Options
gmc685
gmc685 Posts: 26 Member
My apologies if this has been posted about before: I am wondering which is better, or which do people prefer?
I would like to use a heart rate monitor for calories burned during my workouts/ to see how many calories I burn during a day in general. I don't need anything fancy. I run, bike, lift, and do circuit training, so I would want the monitor to be compatible with that. All or any suggestions are appreciated! :smile:

Replies

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Neither will tell you how many calories you've burned, but they'll both tell you how many heart beats you did. Everybody says the Polar one is real comfortable.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    In my experience, you're better served saving your money, use a trusted TDEE calculator, monitor calorie level vs. recorded weight loss/gain and adjust your TDEE (and requisite deficit/surplus) accordingly. I used a Polar H7 for a while and it overestimated everything. YMMV.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I think both of those are likely the best two options. I had a Polar H7, too, and wasn't impressed. I think the Polar 10 seems like they've finally fixed a lot of the issues of the Polar H7. I've also heard from a lot of rowers that the Wahoo Tickr is pretty solid.

I've been holding off getting another and been researching these two. I was so disappointed in the Polar H7 - erratic, battery died quickly, slow to pick up HR and then I changed batteries once and it was dead. Nothing. I normally love Polar's reliability but the Bluetooth versions (up till now) have been lacking.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,217 Member
    Options
    I think both of those are likely the best two options. I had a Polar H7, too, and wasn't impressed. I think the Polar 10 seems like they've finally fixed a lot of the issues of the Polar H7. I've also heard from a lot of rowers that the Wahoo Tickr is pretty solid.

I've been holding off getting another and been researching these two. I was so disappointed in the Polar H7 - erratic, battery died quickly, slow to pick up HR and then I changed batteries once and it was dead. Nothing. I normally love Polar's reliability but the Bluetooth versions (up till now) have been lacking.

I find your H7 experience interesting. I can't say I have any complaints about connectivity or reliability; just accuracy.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    @ Steve - I had the earlier Polars (non-Bluetooth) and loved them so it was a surprise to me also. If you read reviews online for the Polar H7, a lot of people had similar issues. People saying dry it after, etc. Nothing helped mine work any better and my wife's actually died within 6 months as well.
  • gmc685
    Options
    steveko89 wrote: »
    In my experience, you're better served saving your money, use a trusted TDEE calculator, monitor calorie level vs. recorded weight loss/gain and adjust your TDEE (and requisite deficit/surplus) accordingly. I used a Polar H7 for a while and it overestimated everything. YMMV.

Oh darn, i would hate to not have accuracy with the monitor. I used an online TDEE calculator that had my maintenance calories at 2,778-seems mighty high to me! Even though I am a huge fan of food. Do you have a specific TDEE that you like? Thanks for the response!
  • gmc685
    Options
    Neither will tell you how many calories you've burned, but they'll both tell you how many heart beats you did. Everybody says the Polar one is real comfortable.

Yes, I’ve heard it’s comfortable as well! I was reading somewhere that there’s an app that you can link up with the monitor and it will tell you how many calories you’ve burned. Maybe that’s just false hope? 😬 thanks for replying!
  • gmc685
    Options

That’s so sad to hear about Polar! The Bluetooth aspect of the monitor really interested me because it would be nice to have access to all that iinformation, but if it’s not working I’d rather not spend my money on it! I like that the wahoo is considerably cheaper. Thank you for your response!
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I have no experience with the Polar. Money is tight, so we bought the Wahoo Tickr (not the X). It's my first HRM, and it works fine with the app, no problem. It also syncs to the rowers at my gym, but I haven't found anything else that even has the option, but that's just my gym. I haven't had any sync issues or battery issues, but I've literally had it 3 weeks. Amazon gave me a credit and I went wild and bought a HRM :smiley:

It's fine comfort wise, I often forget I'm wearing it and go to take off my bra and find it there.
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I use my Wahoo Tickr X almost daily. It works great.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    gmc685 wrote: »

Yes, I’ve heard it’s comfortable as well! I was reading somewhere that there’s an app that you can link up with the monitor and it will tell you how many calories you’ve burned. Maybe that’s just false hope? 😬 thanks for replying!

I have an app like that, but it usually says 2x to 3x reality. I'm glad I didn't pay for the app. :neutral: The HRM is still useful for some fitness stuff like how long does it take my HR to come back to normal after working hard.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Not sure about the H10, but previous Polar accessories have used a proprietary interface which was only compatible with Polar devices. If that's still the case, I'd prefer the Wahoo just for the ability to use it across multiple platforms.
  • ToMonkey
    ToMonkey Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've never had a HRM before but for the last 6/7 weeks I got the Tickr X for tracking my T25 workouts. It works really well and I would recommend it. I also looked at the Polar which also looks good. The calorie counts are useful and have helped me tracking and not overeating what I burn from workouts.