For a man

Options
My hubby is not into weight training...I am big time.. He may be willing to go with me sometimes if I can find a program for him that is 3x a week probably full body?? for not more than an hour per session... He's not in bad shape 6'2" 195lbs.... Fast metabolism.. Any good programs that you recommend? I know there's a thread about programs but asking what you like? Goal: for me to not work out alone so much and "help" him to get more muscular!

Replies

• flowerhorsey
    flowerhorsey Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    He's kind of wanting to... And he has some extra time after finishing a big project.. I've been really careful not to bug him about it for the past year cuz I know he would need to want to do it to be successful. I'll look into hst. Thanks
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    If he's new to weight lifting, definitely a full body, something like Stronglifts 5x5. As he progresses he can move to a 3 day muscle group split once he's built the strength foundation. I will warn you though, don't get your hopes up, if he doesn't enjoy it and have the drive to do it, he won't stick with it.
  • flowerhorsey
    flowerhorsey Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Yeah I know... That's why I haven't been bugging him about it... Don't wanna be disappointed. I know it's not for everyone... It's just he already looks good and I know he could look REALLY good.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    The optimal program you don't do is worthless.

Maybe start from the opposite side from "what should he do?" and think what would he would enjoy and therefore stick to? That might be structured, it might be very free-form (2 push, 2 pull, alternate upper, lower of whatever exercises he fancies, chuck in some core work...)

Does he enjoy fast-paced exercise? (Circuit training perhaps?)
    Does he have another sport that weight training could benefit as cross training? (There's quite a few very keen cyclists in my gym that dislike weights but recognise how it helps their cycling so they stick with it.)
    What outcome would he (not you - sorry but that might be different!) regard as successful? (Increased strength? Hypertrophy? Enjoyment of the exercise? Enjoyment of training together?)

I do think the first step is establishing it as an enjoyable/rewarding habit and then modify from there at a later date.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Yeah I know... That's why I haven't been bugging him about it... Don't wanna be disappointed. I know it's not for everyone... It's just he already looks good and I know he could look REALLY good.

He will probably need to try a few to see what he likes the most. But starting strength or stronglift is a good place for him to start to build a foundation of strength.