Sometimes I wish I could prove it online

Options
CarvedTones
CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
edited July 2018 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
It's annoying sometimes in forum posts when debating something with a woo peddler or someone convinced that exercise or less carbs or whatever is the only or most effective way to get fit and lose weight is seemingly on equal footing in a thread. Many of these people have a low post count and have probably been at it a short time. Their diaries are usually private. Others have been at it a long time with little or no progress.

I am not saying that the way I did it is the only way; it obviously isn't. But it would be nice if you could tell what opinions hold some (lost) weight and what opinions are more theoretical.

Replies

• tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    It's annoying sometimes in forum posts when debating something with a woo peddler or someone convinced that exercise or less carbs or whatever is the only or most effective way to get fit and lose weight is seemingly on equal footing in a thread. Many of these people have a low post count and have probably been at it a short time. Their diaries are usually private. Others have been at it a long time with little or no progress.

I am not saying that the way I did it is the only way; it obviously isn't. But it would be nice if you could tell what opinions hold some (lost) weight and what opinions are more theoretical.

It shouldn't matter if someone has a low post count, if you want to talk logic, you should not appeal from a point of authority, it's a logical fallacy. Just saying.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

There's a fair bit to learn about doing it the way you/we have done it.

The woo peddlar can't take it all in at once anyway, so just pick one important aspect to make them think and make the reply empathetic.

It may not even be what they're riled up about, but an important aspect about self-deprivation, sustainability, or moderation that is the elephant in the room.

Easy for me to say, but hard not to get frustrated, I agree.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options

My profile picture speaks for itself. I don't believe in any diets other than just counting calories with the foods I love and this includes eating over 200 grams of carbs while cutting. People who argue that is because in their past experience, they think they did things correctly, but in reality they didn't. Some will swear that they counted calories and it didn't work, but they don't realize they failed because they don't weight accurately or enter food entries correctly. On rare occasions, they have health issues that they don't know about, but most of the time their diets failed because they were simply doing it wrong which is why they took a diet that restricted them of something and helped them stay in a caloric deficit. They were simply baby proofed (not sure if that's how we say it) into being in a caloric deficit. So they claim that it's the diet that caused directly their weight loss and ignore that it's actually the caloric deficit that did that to them.