Supplements for joints

cnbbnc
cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
edited July 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Anyone use anything that seems to work for joint stiffness? Glucosamine? My sister swears by tumeric?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,457 Member
    Unfortunately the majority of supplements are pretty useless for joints. Several peer reviewed clinical studies have shown that they do minimal, if any, assistance at all. Joints are subjected to wear and tear from age and overuse and unless one is willing to go under the knife, the best thing you can do are exercise programs that don't inflame them too much. Ibuprofen is also a good friend here.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    I didn't have any luck with Glucosamine or MSM for my knees. I do think turmeric is helping though. It's cheap enough - give it a try.

If I had to pick the most helpful thing, though, it would be regular moderate exercise and these knee exercises:

nlkxw9xsyr9d.jpg
  • cnbbnc
    Thanks. It’s actually my hip that just feels tight all the time. I stopped all exercise that doesn’t feel good, and I’ve been stretching a lot but it only seems to help momentarily. I need to see a PT to see what’s going on but haven’t gotten there yet.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    As someone mentioned a few days ago, it could be an orthopedic issue. Medical insoles might take care of it. Uneven gait, one leg shorter than the other.
  • Wingsont84
    Wingsont84 Posts: 335 Member
    After torn meniscus, my knee just keep popping it's really pissing me off, maybe rub A35 or whatever it's called
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,846 Member
    cnbbnc wrote: »
    Thanks. It’s actually my hip that just feels tight all the time. I stopped all exercise that doesn’t feel good, and I’ve been stretching a lot but it only seems to help momentarily. I need to see a PT to see what’s going on but haven’t gotten there yet.

Have you tried foam rolling? I got a cheap roller at Walmart for under $15.

https://barbend.com/best-foam-roller-exercises-hips/
  • cnbbnc
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Have you tried foam rolling? I got a cheap roller at Walmart for under $15.

https://barbend.com/best-foam-roller-exercises-hips/

That’s a good idea. And thanks for adding the attachment. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,457 Member
    Wingsont84 wrote: »
    After torn meniscus, my knee just keep popping it's really pissing me off, maybe rub A35 or whatever it's called
    Did you get surgery? I opted for it even though I didn't NEED it and I'm back to the leg workouts I was doing before the injury stopped me in my tracks cold.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png