Advice on feeding a family and still trying to loose weight.

Options
I live in a house with my mother, my boyfriend and his brother. I am trying to loose about 50 pounds because of some health issues. I don't do any elimination diets because I found those just don't work for me so I have been trying to monitor what I eat and add in healthy swaps and try meals I would have never thought of before. I use pintrist to try and find new recipies but whenever I try them I face so much backlash from my family its discouraging. My mom thinks the only way to lose weight is to cut out all carbs including healthy grains and fruit. Every time I try to make something without meat or with healthy grains my boyfriend and his brother throw an utter fit and we can't afford to eat seperate meals. Any advice on how to feed a family with different dietary wants?

Replies

• TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,542 Member
    Options
    I have exactly this scenario, luckily it is my wife and adult children who don't want to eat differently so I can take charge of the shopping and most of the cooking. Cutting out processed carbs is a good idea, cutting fruit and veg, imho, is not a good idea.

- I freeze a lot of what I buy and take it out the day before so I choose what we eat.
    - I cook pasta for them and extra veg for me
    - I still eat meat though it is straight cuts, nothing processed as even flavoured "chicken fillets" can have added wheat
    - Smaller portions of potatos
    - Mixed fruit desserts are great, if others want cream or ice cream that is their choice.

You have my sympathy about this position, I had to make the choice not to try an make them eat differently though I have successfully influenced them whether the realise it or not!!!

• HeyJudii
    HeyJudii Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

Yup. Tell them you are doing the cooking and meal planning. If they don't like what you are going to make, they are free to not be included and fend for themselves. Or, they can take over the shopping, meal planning and cooking and you will choose to eat what they prepare or not. It's not your job to please everyone. It is considerate to consider their preferences. But, if you are addressing health conditions through diet, they should be supportive.

This.^

(Unless you are in the position where you are financially dependent on them - you have no income of your own.)

Don't they care about you and your health issues? I watch various shows about people that have severe weight and health issues, and I always wonder why their families/loved ones are so selfish that they refuse to adapt to healthier eating to save the person's life. If they can't have their snack and fried foods, they have tantrums or sulk and make the person feel so guilty they wind up failing.
  • alyangel123
    alyangel123 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I make food for my kids and family and do salad or protein shakes for myself. So i buy a big tub of protein powder and do that for lunch and lettuce/salad bits for dinner. Instead of the potatoes, or higher cal items they eat with their protein, I have salad with mine or veg. Done it for years. Means they can still eat the hugh cal they need for their growing bodies. And i still only make 1 meal.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    mojo6812 wrote: »
    Why isn’t the mother cooking? Get her on here I’ll tell the lazy cow off for you 😉

They’re adults let them fend for themselves and you eat whatever you want (( hugs))

Lol, I've given you more hugs on various threads today than I've given over the last month overall!! And every one well deserved, this not the least!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I live in a house with my mother, my boyfriend and his brother. I am trying to loose about 50 pounds because of some health issues. I don't do any elimination diets because I found those just don't work for me so I have been trying to monitor what I eat and add in healthy swaps and try meals I would have never thought of before. I use pintrist to try and find new recipies but whenever I try them I face so much backlash from my family its discouraging. My mom thinks the only way to lose weight is to cut out all carbs including healthy grains and fruit. Every time I try to make something without meat or with healthy grains my boyfriend and his brother throw an utter fit and we can't afford to eat seperate meals. Any advice on how to feed a family with different dietary wants?

Yeah, my OH would pitch a fit if there were no meat either. But you didn't mention wanting to exclude meat for ethical reasons, so what's the problem with it? I just have smaller portions of meat when it's a high calorie cut.

My OH and I eat the same meals differently. Most commonly he has more carbs and I have more veggies. When we have steak I have Thai Beef Salad with a small amount of rice and he has a regular green salad, and potato (or potato salad this time of year).

Maybe try to make the inclusion of grains that are new to them more gradual. For example, quinoa can we weird if one is expecting rice, but a quinoa and rice pilaf more palatable.

I have a much more adventurous palate than my OH so I only put ethnic foods in the rotation occasionally and have hot dogs for back up if it turns out he hates something.
  • Mrsindepenant1
    Mrsindepenant1 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Our house is 2 adults and a 3yo, the occasional preteen.
    I cook normal meals for the family but I generally have meat and broccoli. I freeze any leftovers or save them and have them on a night when they want something like pizza or lasagna so I don’t have issues with making something else.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Since you aren’t going to follow an elimination diet you can use a plating method. Prepare a protein, starchy carb, and a vegetable at every dinner. Your manly carnivores can serve themselves larger portions of meat and your MIL can skip the starchy carbs. You can eat it all in proportion. Pasta won’t kill you.

This. My husband needs a lot more calories than I do and we're trying to keep his weight on an even keel.

I usually give him more protein and starch, I get more veggies. I add cheese to his veggies, he'll have bread with his meals.

We pretty much eat the same things, he just gets more than I do.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Keep boxes of dry pasta, pasta sauce and frozen meatballs on hand all the time. If the boys complain, tell them to make themselves pasta. My boyfriend does it all the time if I make something and he wants something else.

Or, serve everything "family style." Make the separate parts of the meal and don't assemble or mix anything. Let everyone serve themselves so they get exactly what they want. Then your mom doesn't have to touch the carbs and the boys can add meat if they want.

The other way to address it is to simply state "I am working on making myself healthier so I can live a long, healthy life. I'd appreciate it if you'd support me and what I am doing." Let your results do the rest of the talking.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    The family constellation sounds pretty unusual, and who's responsible for what is unclear, but the problem can still be broken up into manageable bits:
    To lose weight, you have to eat less, and that is something you do (actually, not-do, so it should be dead easy), not try.
    You can eat less of anything. You can eat anything you want.
    "Healthy" foods are often more expensive.
    A healthy diet is balanced and varied.
    People prefer what they're used to, and like to have a say in what is going to be eaten, and new things have to appeal in some way in order to be accepted.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    is everyone contributing to the household and groceries? whos paying the rent? whos buying groceries?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    mojo6812 wrote: »
    Why isn’t the mother cooking? Get her on here I’ll tell the lazy cow off for you 😉

They’re adults let them fend for themselves and you eat whatever you want (( hugs))

You mean the woman who's letting her adult daughter, daughter's boyfriend, and daughter's boyfriend's brother (for real??) live in her home? I suppose she should do their laundry and wipe their backsides too?

How do you know if it's the mother's house or not? Kind of jumping to a conclusion there.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    Since you aren’t going to follow an elimination diet you can use a plating method. Prepare a protein, starchy carb, and a vegetable at every dinner. Your manly carnivores can serve themselves larger portions of meat and your MIL can skip the starchy carbs. You can eat it all in proportion. Pasta won’t kill you.

This. My husband needs a lot more calories than I do and we're trying to keep his weight on an even keel.

I usually give him more protein and starch, I get more veggies. I add cheese to his veggies, he'll have bread with his meals.

We pretty much eat the same things, he just gets more than I do.

Similar to this. I cook for 5. I eat keto as it controls my migraines to an extent. Then I have a husband, 17yo, 14yo, and 10yo sons who all go through various growing stages. The boys sometimes eating the equivalent of three servings in a sitting and skmetimes picking, some months visibly pudging up a bit before the shoulders broaden and they gain another inch in hight. Anyway, aside from the interest in watching teenage boys grow, eating habits of a family are fun to deal with! We have a hobby farm so meals are pretty much based around what meat was pulled from the freezer the night before to defrost. One carby side(I always make sure there is enough of this for seconds or just to go into lunchboxes), and at least 2 veggies. Sometimes both cooked, sometimes a raw platter or salad with dressings and toppings to choose from. There are more dishes to wash this way and a bit of planning but it gives options, leftovers, potential uses for days later in the week, and everyone is happy with meals of this style.

It is rare I do casseroles anymore even though we all enjoy them. The exception would be if I meal prep for myself specifically(I am home for lunches during the day while they are not), or if I will be away for a few days in a row and make them a meal or two to balance the quicker stuff they will eat in between.

Maybe if you sit down and make a list of everyone’s hard likes and dislikes, then you can have it in front of you and make it easier to add small things here and there so all meals are satisfying in all respects for everyone without having to prep more than one full meal.
  • evie70
    evie70 Posts: 17 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I just experienced this with my Fiance. I made a delicious omelette 390 calories per serving and she only ate half. (said it made her gag :| ) I've been struggling with my weight for years now. All my attempts I have always made extra meals for her or my daughter. I've decided counting calories is my best option. So...I told her we have a problem because she's gonna have to get used to what I'm cooking. I'm not cooking twice. Needless to say we both need to lose weight. I'm sticking to my decision. Cooking outside of healthy will result in me eating it. Not doing it. She's an adult and may fend for herself if she doesn't like my meals. And I'd like to add that I am a great cook, healthy or not.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

Since these boys pitch a fit if there isn’t any steak get them to fire up the BBQ and cook it for you.

And your MIL can stick her nose in her own plate and leave you alone.

Yes, this time of year most of the meat gets cooked on the grill by my man.