How do you season your (cooked) vegetables?

Options
2»

Replies

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I usually roast a big batch of veggies on Sunday to eat with lunch during the week. Butternut, zucchini, peppers and eggplant, using no oil. I mix them all up and sprinkle with Traders Joes everything but the bagel seasoning.
  • jaena4
    jaena4 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Zatar! It's a middle eastern spice blend that I was introduced to by Hello Fresh a while back. I found it in the local mid-east grocery. Different and very good! It's great for roasted veggies :)
  • lillyblack1982
    lillyblack1982 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Sesame oil (doesn’t take much), salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika. Curry for zucchini and asparagus. Sounds weird but a dash of nutmeg on yellow squash with all of the above seasoning is good.
  • ginjennie
    ginjennie Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I always have fresh chilli peppers to hand or some sriracha sauce. Avoiding salt so this helps me when cooking.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I like cooking green beans in bacon grease and seasoning with salt, pepper and onion powder. Broccoli is salt, pepper and garlic powder. I don't really like asparagus lol.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I generally cook my veggies in some sort of fat - coconut oil, evoo, avocado oil, ghee, and bacon fat are my norm - and then just season with salt and pepper. I do sometimes add some fresh minced garlic as well when cooking because garlic is awesome :)
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Brocolli usually nothing. I just eat it, I might add sea salt occasionally. Asparagus, I marinate with balsalmic vinegar and red pepper flakes if I'm gonna barbecue it. My butternut squash I will sprinkle cumin and chili powder on it then roast it in the oven. Those of some of my goto's but honestly my spice blend depends on the meal I'm making and how it fits in context with everything else.
  • mjrc2
    mjrc2 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    a good balsamic raspberry vinegar in a spray bottle is a good choice, or lemon juice and garlic powder.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Hot sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, italian seasoning, no salt salt, with a pinch of truvia to counter the salt and spice. Try it, it is excellent!
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I usually just use salt and pepper if steaming and a little lemon juice or olive oil if roasting.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Tonight I intend to roast butternut squash on the barbecue, I will lightly coat with olive oil, and dust with smoked paprika.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Bacon
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    10g of butter is only 70 cals and goes a long way if you melt it in the pan and then toss the veggies in it. I usually just do 10-15g butter, garlic powder salt and pepper. On occasion I'll also add parmesan and maybe less butter or use I can't believe it's not butter light to offset some cals
  • DrizztGirl82
    DrizztGirl82 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I have about 20 different random seasonings at home (like steak, veggie, Cajun, Korean BBQ, lemon pepper, and random other ones) and I sprinkle whatever sounds good that day. Some of them are wonderful (like the steak one) and some aren't the greatest on specific veggies. But it's whatever you think sounds good.
  • forestdweller46
    forestdweller46 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Roasting your veggies, yes, the asparagus and even stuff like bok choy, with just a touch of good quality "no stick spray" brings out the flavor and sweetness. Afterwards, maybe a dash of sea salt [comes in flavors!] or a drop of sesame oil? Do NOT use the dollar store spray because it sticks to your pans. :o Pot scrubbing is not on the list of MFP exercises.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Adobo, salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, basil, rosemary, thyme, oregano, parsley, whatever I'm in the mood for. Curry powder, hot sauce. I eat loads of vegetables, raw and cooked, so many combinations to satisfy different cravings. Have fun, experiment, find what you like!
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Butter, cheese sauce, ranch, and tabasco. My vegetable consumption is roughly on par with that of a 7 year old. Pretty sure that's why they make multi-vitamins!