Water Retention Masking Loss- TMI Warning

I had a hormonal implant put in 2 weeks ago (to put it mildly). I lost 6 lbs in the month before, but gained 3 lbs last week. Fluid retention, bloating, and weight gain are side effects. Hubby said the girls look "fuller", so I'm not surprised. It's not a true fat gain.

I track my trend on Libra. So far it is still trending down, and it says I'm still in a roughly 200 to 300 calorie per day deficit. MFP has me set for half lb loss per week at 1370 calories per day, and I eat 1700 average which includes the exercise calories.

My concern is should I worry about the water retention masking my weight loss, or should I increase my deficit to see more of a loss? I'm trying to lose 20 to 25 lbs.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    It's only been a week. Keep to what you've been doing.
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    It's temporary. You have logging to fall back on for reassurance so you know it's not fat gain. It will eventually drop off. Just keep doing what you're doing.
  • FlySuperWhoLock
    FlySuperWhoLock Posts: 20 Member
    The scale doesn't know the difference between water an fat. Keep up with what your routine. Don't let it discourage you too much. You will see results maybe a little slower. If it becomes too concerning talk to your Dr about water pulls. It help me with excess fluid last year. Increasing your water may also help and you'll pee more and it'll help with the bloating a little bit.