Book Discusssion: Why We Sleep

Options
Not sure if this is the right sub-forum but anyways

Has anyone read/listened to Why We Sleep? Written by Matthew Walker - he is a neuroscientist who runs a sleep and neuroimaging lab at UC Berkeley

It’s been an interesting listen but the reason I thought it would be an interesting discussion is that he has several chapters devoted to sleep and weight loss/gain - looking at various research into body chemicals (lepton/ghrelin) of ppl sleep deprived (comparing control group of 8hrs sleep to deprived group of 4-5hrs); also food choices and calories consumed in individuals sleep deprived.

Anyone else read it? Any thoughts? I’d love to actually read some of the Full studies that he cited

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    There's a study of his published in Nature about sleep and food. Google "nature matthew p. walker"
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this is the right sub-forum but anyways

Has anyone read/listened to Why We Sleep? Written by Matthew Walker - he is a neuroscientist who runs a sleep and neuroimaging lab at UC Berkeley

It’s been an interesting listen but the reason I thought it would be an interesting discussion is that he has several chapters devoted to sleep and weight loss/gain - looking at various research into body chemicals (lepton/ghrelin) of ppl sleep deprived (comparing control group of 8hrs sleep to deprived group of 4-5hrs); also food choices and calories consumed in individuals sleep deprived.

Anyone else read it? Any thoughts? I’d love to actually read some of the Full studies that he cited

Do you have the list of studies referenced?

My library doesn't carry his book, but I have access to quite a few pay-walled journals/studies and would love to read them :smile:
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Not right now - I’m listening to it but I’m going to see if they are referenced in the print book
  • ladyreva78
    Options
    Not right now - I’m listening to it but I’m going to see if they are referenced in the print book

Cool :smile:

Enjoy the rest of the listening!
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    He does mention the University of Chicago and their sleep lab which is doing a lot of work on sleep, hormones and obesity

Here are some of the recent research they list on their website:
    https://sleep.uchicago.edu/research/
  • ladyreva78
    Options
    He does mention the University of Chicago and their sleep lab which is doing a lot of work on sleep, hormones and obesity

Here are some of the recent research they list on their website:
    https://sleep.uchicago.edu/research/

Thanks! I'll check those out next time I'm on my university library system :smile:
  • peggym4640
    peggym4640 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Bummed. My library didn't have it. Sounds interesting.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    peggym4640 wrote: »
    Bummed. My library didn't have it. Sounds interesting.

what about inter-library loan? it just came out - so I had to wait for my library to get it in - if I had bought it, I would totally consider loaning it to people
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    ohh this is another study he referenced that I just remembered - they compared low calorie controlled diets in a normal and sleep deprived state

in the sleep deprived state the participants lost weight, but it was more lean muscle; compared to the normal sleep state where they lost more fat
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Think about longterm nightshift workers you know and their struggles. They appear to age at a faster pace and many fight their weight.
  • deannalfisher
    Options
    Mari22na wrote: »
    Think about longterm nightshift workers you know and their struggles. They appear to age at a faster pace and many fight their weight.

He actually touched on them and frequent travelers quite a few times