cwsweetpea28
cwsweetpea28 Posts: 25 Member
I cannot hit none these goals so I must not be eating right

Replies

• seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Look at the big picture. There is no one right way to do it.

Once you hit at least enough protein and fat, the rest is up to what works for you personally.

ETA: At least enough, according to government recommendations, is 46 grams of protein and 30 grams of fat per day for non-pregnant, non-lactating women.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Can you be more specific? What numbers aren't you hitting? Are you using the MFP default goals or did you customize your goals to follow a specific diet?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Maybe look at your ratios and tweak them?

What specific one are you struggling with hitting? I find if I focus on that and plan it first into my day - I’m more successful
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    seska422 wrote: »

Once you hit at least enough protein and fat, the rest is up to what works for you personally.

ETA: At least enough, according to government recommendations, is 46 grams of protein and 30 grams of fat per day for non-pregnant, non-lactating women OF AVERAGE HEIGHT AND HEALTHY WEIGHT.

FIFY. The protein recommendation is based on weight, and that specific number is based on an average height woman of healthy weight.

I'm not sure where you're getting that number for fat, as there no AI (adequate intake or RDA (recommended daily allowance) has been set for total fat, for lack of adequate evidence. 20% to 35% of energy is the AMDR (acceptable macronutrient distribution range) for fat, based on heart disease risk on high carb, low fat diets and obesity risk on high-fat diets.

https://www.nap.edu/read/10490/chapter/10https://nap.edu/read/10490/chapter/10
  • seska422
    edited July 2018
    Options

ETA: At least enough, according to government recommendations, is 46 grams of protein and 30 grams of fat per day for non-pregnant, non-lactating women OF AVERAGE HEIGHT AND HEALTHY WEIGHT.

FIFY. The protein recommendation is based on weight, and that specific number is based on an average height woman of healthy weight.

I'm not sure where you're getting that number for fat, as there no AI (adequate intake or RDA (recommended daily allowance) has been set for total fat, for lack of adequate evidence. 20% to 35% of energy is the AMDR (acceptable macronutrient distribution range) for fat, based on heart disease risk on high carb, low fat diets and obesity risk on high-fat diets.

Dietary Reference Intakes: Macronutrients

The protein RDA is 46 grams for non-pregnant, non-lactating women and does not have the exclusions you specified. It is calculated from weight but excess fat doesn't need to be provided with additional protein. Even the pregnancy goals use the pre-pregnancy weight. "RDAs and AIs may both be used as goals for individual intake."

I'm not saying that that's the optimal protein goal, but it is an adequate protein goal.

I did misread the chart pertaining to fat intake.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options

The protein RDA is 46 grams for non-pregnant, non-lactating women and does not have the exclusions you specified. It is calculated from weight but excess fat doesn't need to be provided with additional protein. Even the pregnancy goals use the pre-pregnancy weight. "RDAs and AIs may both be used as goals for individual intake."

I'm not saying that that's the optimal protein goal, but it is an adequate protein goal.

How can a specific number of grams both be calculated from weight and yet be bald for all non-pregnant, non-lactating women? Are you claiming all non-pregnant, non-lactating women weigh the same?

To get a specific number based on weight, they had to pick a specific weight.
  • seska422
    edited July 2018
    Options

How can a specific number of grams both be calculated from weight and yet be bald for all non-pregnant, non-lactating women? Are you claiming all non-pregnant, non-lactating women weigh the same?

Not all women are the same but they give group ranges and they give an RDA of 46 grams of protein for all of the non-pregnant, non-lactating women group ranges from ages 14 to 70. "RDAs are set to meet the needs of almost all (97 to 98 percent) individuals in a group." 97-98% covers far more than just average height and healthy weight.

It appears that they picked a specific weight.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options

Not all women are the same but they give group ranges and they give an RDA of 46 grams of protein for all of the non-pregnant, non-lactating women group ranges from ages 14 to 70. "RDAs are set to meet the needs of almost all (97 to 98 percent) individuals in a group." 97-98% covers far more than just average height and healthy weight.

You have missed the footnote, which says that the 46 g/day is intended to meet the needs of 97 to 98% of women of the reference weight, which is 57 kg (125.4 lbs), which is close to the middle of the normal BMI weight distribution for a woman who is 5'4".
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

You have missed the footnote, which says that the 46 g/day is intended to meet the needs of 97 to 98% of women of the reference weight, which is 57 kg (125.4 lbs), which is close to the middle of the normal BMI weight distribution for a woman who is 5'4".

And that's not for those in a deficit, or doing exercise.
  • seska422
    edited July 2018
    Options

I'm still missing it. I'm not seeing the phrase "reference weight" when I do a search of the page I linked. I see "almost all (97 to 98 percent) individuals in a group" and the groups are by gender and age.

Where does it say that?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

I'm still missing it. I'm not seeing the phrase "reference weight" when I do a search of the page I linked.

Where does it say that?

It probably doesn't, I haven't read it - I have studied my own countries recommendations though. RDAs are to maintain ok health. They aren't to have great health. Being in a deficit requires more protein. Exercising requires more protein.
  • seska422
    edited July 2018
    Options

I'm still missing it. I'm not seeing the phrase "reference weight" when I do a search of the page I linked.

Where does it say that?

It probably doesn't, I haven't read it - I have studied my own countries recommendations though. RDAs are to maintain ok health. They aren't to have great health. Being in a deficit requires more protein. Exercising requires more protein.
    Yeah, we are discussing "ok" rather than "great". Adequate rather than optimal. The amount where you would be getting at least enough.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options

I'm still missing it. I'm not seeing the phrase "reference weight" when I do a search of the page I linked. I see "almost all (97 to 98 percent) individuals in a group" and the groups are by gender and age.

My apologies. It's spelled out in the text of the chapter I linked to, which is the source of your chart. I only looked at your chart briefly and then I must accidentally gone back to a version of it that I'm more familiar with (same information, same source) which does have the footnote. I don't know why NAP publishes it in different formats. I can't find the version with the footnote right now, as it's bookmarked on my laptop, which I'm not using at the moment.