My name is Frank and I'm a 378Lbs Food Addict Addict

Options
2»

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Frank,
    Take this as a letter from a recovering 400lb man. I don't know much about you, but it seems like you are stepping in a good direction. I would advise taking things slower now you have lost some weight. Have an end game in mind, I did not and now in the last year have had to scramble to figure some things out. Start rigidly tracking your intakes. Get some kind of activity tracking device if you don't already have one. Know your body is going to change. You are going to become a different creature. Most of us will become far hungrier and food focused after the kind of weight we lost/losing. Our hormones and brains change in ways I could never have guessed. Start stalking the maintainers forums if you have not already. There are some very wise people there. PAV888 is someone you should talk to. Man is brilliant btw. Get into the weight room. Does not burn many calories, but helps maintain lean mass. Hell, you might even gain some if you get in now. Eat enough and do not completely deprive yourself. Don't follow the crowd around you. Most of them do not understand what we do. Know that most losers of our kind of weight rebound. It is what it is. Helps me to have a goal besides maintaining. Bulking right now is my goal. Get a good trending weight app. The scale can lie day to day. Best of luck Frank. Feel free to add me.

Sincerely,
    Dalon
  • pandygirl1563
    pandygirl1563 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Frank!!

psychod787!! Has got good advice, and men don't hold or lose weight the same way as a female. But he's right you have to find out what's right for you!! trial and error that's how I did it and when something when didn't work, I would start over until I would find things that worked.

I'm a woman and I used to weigh 400 lb at one time. It has taking me a long time to get to where I'm at now. My weight now is 27 9.2 lb, 120.8 lb less than what I used to weigh. I still have 99.2 lb to go. I've had my ups and downs during that time, setbacks and successes.
    I realized it's so much easier to put the weight on, then it take it off.
    Just take it one step, one day at a Time. I wish you the best! You can do this!! May seem hard times!! But it's well worth it. I am so grateful to be where I'm at now. I still have ways to go, but I've kept the majority of this weight off for a long time. Not given up now, we can do this. 😁

Best wishes,
    Karla

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Howdy Frank, cowboy1-smiley.gif?1292867576.  Do everything on your own terms. You don't have to make an insta account or do anything on social media if you don't want to.  Giving yourself permission to do exactly what you want to do is the strategy that works for me. I don't march to tune of anyone else's drum or think so's I can't follow menu plans written by other people and I loathe diets. All of them.  Just reading that 'dirty' 4 letter word turns my stomach.  I created my own Positive Food Management Plan.  It includes all of the foods that I like and I found movement that I enjoy.  I simply took it back outside and I'm not going to the gym.  The nearest gym is a 120 mile round trip and I'm not doing it.  The number one reason any particular diet fails is that it implemented so brutally strict right out of the gate. Every part of a person's being rebels fairly quickly.  The Shock and Awe approach sets up more vicious cycles.  Edge your way down slowly, Frank. You'll have a much better shot at getting there and staying there without the pain of large portion food withdrawal.  The less mental and emotional struggle the better retention of new healthy food habits.  We can manage ourselves. Kudos to you for getting back in the groove.  See ya around, Frank.camp-fire-smiley.gif?1292867563.
  • Jesi1011
    Jesi1011 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Telling your story here is just a part of your journey! Can’t wait to hear more in a few weeks, months and this time next year!! You got this!
  • FrankCanDoit
    FrankCanDoit Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Frank,
    Take this as a letter from a recovering 400lb man. I don't know much about you, but it seems like you are stepping in a good direction. I would advise taking things slower now you have lost some weight. Have an end game in mind, I did not and now in the last year have had to scramble to figure some things out. Start rigidly tracking your intakes. Get some kind of activity tracking device if you don't already have one. Know your body is going to change. You are going to become a different creature. Most of us will become far hungrier and food focused after the kind of weight we lost/losing. Our hormones and brains change in ways I could never have guessed. Start stalking the maintainers forums if you have not already. There are some very wise people there. PAV888 is someone you should talk to. Man is brilliant btw. Get into the weight room. Does not burn many calories, but helps maintain lean mass. Hell, you might even gain some if you get in now. Eat enough and do not completely deprive yourself. Don't follow the crowd around you. Most of them do not understand what we do. Know that most losers of our kind of weight rebound. It is what it is. Helps me to have a goal besides maintaining. Bulking right now is my goal. Get a good trending weight app. The scale can lie day to day. Best of luck Frank. Feel free to add me.

Sincerely,
    Dalon

Thanks so much Dalon! I'm glad you see where I'm coming from. I Do you have a tracking device I wear a Fitbit 24/7 and I'm doing just some lightweight walking right now. I also have a set of dumbbells and do a pull and pressing routine and bodyweight squat. I trained in the gym for about 2 years straight about 12 years ago and was still real big but know what your talking about. I never got to my goal weight. I never got exactly to the weight I wanted... but I know exactly what you talking about how it slows down, the new hunger cravings, how to maintain, the change of psyche, the absolutely insane energy that you'll have, all the little things. I'm going to start looking at the maintenance Forum soon once I get down a bit more and weight. I'm at 350 lb right now and I figure I got a good two years before I get to where I really want to be. I've got a good game plan in my head so I don't make the same mistakes that I made last time when I try to lose all my weight. I learned from my mistakes last time and there are some key factors in my life I've changed that should ensure my state of mind this time. That was about 12 years ago but I still remember it all 🙂
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
    Options
    Welcome to joining and change your life. I’m OLD, 70 yo! I was in my thirties when I started getting bigger and bigger then Diet, lose, gain it all back plus more.
    I got up to 300 in my 50s and eventually kept getting bigger up to 376 at age 65.

I was too afraid to try weight loss surgery so I joined WW AGAIN in 2013! I met my goal to lose 100Lb in 2015 and PROMISED to not gain it back. Then I rebooted myself in 2016 to lose below 200! I lost -37.# so still needed to lose in 2017, I lost 43# and got below 200!

2018 I got to Goal Weight (184) now Weigh 181!

I used water aerobics classes and swimming laps to exercise.

Don’t wait to start enjoying life, start to find things that keep you busy, enjoy some hobbies, groups. classes.

Enjoy your journey.
  • nareau14
    nareau14 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    We have very similar stories. Send me a request.
  • Grandmakatex2
    Grandmakatex2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Frank you are doing such a great job. Be so proud of yourself. It is so hard for those of us addicted to food. I would encourage you to not bring any of your trigger foods into the house. If I have anything in the house that I like I know the first thing I will do is head for it when I am bored, sad, mad, whatever the case may be. Surround yourself with good, caring people who will support your journey and beyond your journey. People that encourage you to overeat are not your friends. Wishing you all the best.
  • perkele69
    perkele69 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hey man since you were even chubby as a kid, your brain is wired up to this addiction! It’s like mice in a cage pressing a button to give themselves a hit of a drug and an electric shock at the same time. As you lose weight, you will become less and less addicted and guess what? The more you lose the EASIER it becomes, because you form new habits around food!

I recently got a bit chubby at 200lbs i went back down to 168 and to lose that 30lbs i had to eat less calories. It was hard at first but then my addiction to eating garbage tapered off and you WILL notice the same!

As a recommendation, buy some slimfast or USN diet whey, both these products helped me at night. I crave sugar at night sometimes and if I drink one of those shakes (for 200 - 300 calories), it takes away the desire to eat sugar. After that I don’t contemplate it.

Also don’t buy crap in the house, just low calorie foods or even diet ready meals in the freezer.

YOU GOT THIS BROTHER STAY DETERMINED !!!