Do you workout when you go abroad on a holiday ?

Options
Im going away soon ,somewhere I ve never been and we are staying at the apartment so no hotels with gym or swimming pool.

I have finally started losing again lately so Im feeling good and since there ll be abundance of yummy food to try there Im thinking of trying to squeeze in few workouts but I don't know if its silly or not .I could bring my running shoes though Im pretty novice so I dont know if its worth it or resistance bands .
What does everyone else do ?

I plan to eat at maintaince and I'll try and log but not sure how accurate it ll be with foreign food so I was thinking it would be helpful if I could up my exercise while there other then lots of walking.

Does anyone tend to workout while away or do you just have complete break ?

Replies

• fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    No, the gym usually suck or the weights are not heavy enough. I just take that week off from diet and training. Usually when I return to my regular diet, my weight goes back to what it was before.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i do.
    i either hike or run.
    i get up before other, if i travel with people, and try to get back and shower about when people said they would like to get up. you could also go do some work with your resistance bands.

and then I am usually pretty active on vacation. lots of walking around and being on my feet. when i travel with other, same.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I work out all year so I can really enjoy the activities I have planned for my vacation- I've learnt to do so many new things doing this and it keeps me working out all year.

I do keep a couple of bodyweight, light weights, routines from Nerdfitness and HasFit noted in my phone so I can throw in a quick 15 min workout when I am doing extended family (just spent 2 month in Scotland and they were invaluable) or friend visits and I know my major activities will be walking and drinking wine.

For cals, since I don't log, I just stay aware of portion sizes.

Cheers, h.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Wow, it's been a long time since I had a vacation out of state/country. But when I did, I did a lot of walking and yoga.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    More often than not I'm on vacation in a place where I'm going to be fairly active. My last two: two summers ago to Gatlinburg where I spent a morning in the park and walked the city twice, and three months ago to NYC where walking to my destinations was more affordable than a cab/Uber/the subway. And my next one I'm planning is to Disneyland early next year.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    No I don’t. But I am more active on vacations. We like to do a lot of hiking. Swimming. Etc.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I do lots of hiking on Vaca. I work out so I can go on Vaca and rarely workout while there. If I did want to workout, I would take TRX or resistance bands.
  • swimmchick87
    swimmchick87 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    On most vacations I do so much walking that I probably end up burning more than my regular workouts anyway- I usually only workout for 30-45 minutes at a time anyway. For me, it depends on the trip. I've only traveled outside of the country a few times in my life, and given that those experiences are so rare and special, I'm certainly not going to spend them tracking calories and working out.

That said, taking breaks does tend to be hard for me (I have a hard time getting back on track sometimes) so I might set up some sort of accountability with a friend or something when I get back to make sure I get back to working out, weighing in, and tracking.

I was just out of town all last week visiting family. Although I consider this somewhat of a "vacation" it's not like it's a once in a lifetime trip that I really have to savor or anything like that. There are some "hometown" foods that I don't have here that I wanted to enjoy. I waffled between setting at maintenance and continuing to track or not tracking but just trying not to go nuts. I did go to the gym with my mom once and did tons of walking for 2 of the days I was there. I opted for the second option and it ended up being a mistake. I went nuts. I need rules and structure!

I ended up gaining 4 pounds; 2 of that was water/food weight because it was already gone this morning after one day of being back on track yesterday. At least I'm back on track, but when I factor in last week, plus the 1-2 weeks I'm going to have to spend losing the weight I gained, I've basically wasted 3 weeks of potential weight loss. If this were a one time really special vacation, probably worth it. Not worth it for a trip home that I take a few times per year. Next time I'll set at maintenance and do my best to track.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I workout (because I enjoy it and get restless if I'm not very active) but it's a bit different to my normal routine.

Loads of walking.
    Would also use the hotel gym but normally the equipment isn't up to a high enough standard to do my normal workouts. I might do circuit training or German Volume Training which doesn't require a lot of weight or equipment.

I might hire a bike to explore further afield. Coast and volcanoes ride...
    fytpzotddkng.jpg

Watching the sun set in the ocean is a bit different to the view from my gym....
    s8y3g437ffbu.jpg

Or might just end a day in the sun with some exercise to work up a thirst.
    r2njrgs91owc.jpg

Are you on The Big Island?
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I try to get out and get some exercise time in whenever possible on vacation regardless of where the trip is. If there is no gym where I'm at or if I'm not knowledgeable enough about the area to run in a safe area I will create a bunch of indoor exercises to keep me busy for at least 30 minutes/day. Whether it be squats, planking, stretches, jumping jacks, burpees, etc....I just make sure to change it up and rotate what I'm doing to keep it interesting.

Creating a bingo card similar to this:

gg2ou70tv9ap.jpg

Then do 3 sets of whatever 5 are randomly chosen.

It helps me when I can't run or swim and those are my primary go to exercises. I try to get out of the house at all costs. :)
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I try to do what's reasonable. Generally speaking, I take the train when I go on vacation. Due to the limits on baggage weight, I don't take my dumbbells with me. I keep toying with the idea of buying resistance bands, but so far that's all I do—toy with the idea. But my main cardio is walking and always has been. I do my best to keep that part of my activity consistent.

As it happens, I'm in the middle of training for a 5K at the end of August. In about a week and a half, I'll be traveling to my parents in Montreal for a couple of days, then driving down with them to my niece's bat mitzvah in New Jersey, staying there for a couple of days, driving back to Montreal with my folks and taking the train home. While I would LIKE to keep up the C25K training, I recognize that instead of 3 training sessions a week, I may be able to get in one. And that's if I can persuade someone to come with me to the track to call out when to run/walk, because I'm not great at keeping track of that when I'm running. So, if I can, I can; if I can't, I can't. We shall see.
  • passenger79
    passenger79 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I have pretty much decided to pack resistance bands and do Strong curves which I swapped to from Stonglifts recently, not feeling quite confident in running somewhere completely unknown yet although it is tempting. This won't take me too long to do and I'll still feel I'm doing something good for myself.I do plan on walking lots but probably won't be able to go for hikes (which I love ) with kiddies.

No idea how I'll log in foreign food but will have freedom or making some of the meals so I'll just make sure I make good choice so I have enough room for treats and meals out .

Normally I'll just sod it,eat everything in sight and then feel crap when I get home ,Im trying to learn to be consistent and not go to crazy .
    Thanks everyone .
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I have a break, and we always walk loads on holiday.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    When on holidays I just do plenty of walking to take in the sights, sounds and atmosphere of a new location.I'll get up earlier than everyone else for an early morning walk and then there is plenty of sightseeing throughout the day.
  • MushroomLadyJR
    MushroomLadyJR Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I don't gain weight on vacation because I'm so active. I just came back from Normandy and am happy to see that I didn't gain an ounce... despite the la tourteau fromage, wine, lobster in butter sauce, croissants... :)