Who’s doing the slimfast diet?
I started today so far so good!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Don't. Just don't.
  • RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    I tried slimfast when I was younger before MFP was around and I was hungry all the time and it didn't agree with my digestive system. In the end I didn't lose weight. I would never do that again. Plus if you do lose then what? You go back to the eating habits that made you fat originally? Nope. You are on MFP, you should try to follow what the members are doing and see how it goes. You get to eat real food .
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    I got so hungry that I would freak out and binge after a couple of days. Turns out I need to actually chew to feel full.

Eating real food within my calorie allowance is what worked for me.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,581 Member
    OP, just because something like Slimfast has been around forever doesn't mean it works.

It just means that there's an endless supply of overweight people desperate to lose weight who get sucked in by the advertising.

What are your stats? Height, current weight and goal weight?
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,122 Member
    edited July 2018
    I've done slimfast several times, great if you need to lose weight in a hurry as water weight (not to be confused with fat) does come off quickly (I had to lose weight pretty quick to keep my doctor happy to keep me on the pill some years back) but as soon as you go back to eating normal food, which inevitably you will, unless you plan to live on expensive shakes for the rest of your life, the weight will come back, because you will likely have learned not a thing about portion control.

People get caught in yo-yo dieting this way, which is exactly how these companies make their money, keeping you using them, instead of just losing weight by eating a little less and moving a little more, sounds a lot simpler and less expensive doesn't it.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    I buy slim fast stuff just cuz I like the taste,I could not just eat only them though,,seems the shakes make me hungrier,,probably all the sugar who lno
  • aemsley05
    aemsley05 Posts: 151 Member
    I did Slimfast in the past and it worked well for me because I liked the taste and having shakes for breakfast and lunch was convenience for having at my desk at work, required very little preparation, and I could use the free milk at work for the shakes so helped save on costs too :p

I did lose weight on Slimfast (I was on the shakes for about 3 months while also spending entirely too long at the gym twice a day, every day). However, drinking shakes teaches you nothing about developing healthy, sustainable habits, so when you go back to "normal" eating, it's very easy for all the weight to come back - which is exactly what happened to me.

I'd strongly recommend that you think about how you want to eat for the rest of your life. If that's 2 shakes a day, then fine, Slimfast may work out great. I'd recommend switching to a lower sugar protein shake though, as Slimfast shakes are pretty high sugar. If you want to eat solid food, then why not start that now? Use the time of losing weight to build habits that you can keep up indefinitely. Otherwise, what happens when you hit goal weight? Weight management and maintenance isn't a one-time fix; it's a lifelong effort
  • vnb_208
    vnb_208 Posts: 1,359 Member
    Slimfast works when you use it , once you stop you gain back the weight . If you can learn to eat the foods you like in a calorie deficit thats a best way to go
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    As you can probably see, not a lot of support for slimfast around here. 'So far so good' on your first day won't last long, once you get tired and hungry and start feeling deprived because you're drinking 2/3 of your meals.

It's tempting to think grabbing a shake will streamline and simplify your life and make weight loss easier, but that's a bit myopic. You'll be better served putting some effort into figuring out a reasonable way of eating that fits your goals and is sustainable.
  • theloopdloopslife
    theloopdloopslife Posts: 6 Member
    I know you all don't agree with their choice to use slim fast but I know for me when I have completely fallen off the wagon and gained a ton of weight it helps me get back to knowing when my body feels full or when I am just bored. It is not a lifestyle choice but some people need that kick to overcome the faux "I'm hungry" feeling.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    I know you all don't agree with their choice to use slim fast but I know for me when I have completely fallen off the wagon and gained a ton of weight it helps me get back to knowing when my body feels full or when I am just bored. It is not a lifestyle choice but some people need that kick to overcome the faux "I'm hungry" feeling.

But if all I had for breakfast and lunch was a slimfast shake, I would legit be hungry! As in stealing cookies from little kids hungry.
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    I don't like the taste of Slimfast but I do like Atkins shakes when I am traveling for a week on the road. For me it beats a fast food drive through option when making time. It doesn't have to be just for diet---it could be just like smoothies or protein drinks that other people toss into their menus.
    It probably won't be sustainable long term--but nothing wrong with trying it as a jump start to figure out what works for you.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    But what does one need to stop falling off the wagon and regain?
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,493 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »

But if all I had for breakfast and lunch was a slimfast shake, I would legit be hungry! As in stealing cookies from little kids hungry.

I tried it once. I lasted about a day and a half and I ended up getting a cheeseburger and fries to go with my 220 calorie drink.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member

I tried it once. I lasted about a day and a half and I ended up getting a cheeseburger and fries to go with my 220 calorie drink.

I just wanna say I'm super jealous of your Scorpion, @Mouse_Potato!!! That pose continues to elude me.
  • RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    edited July 2018

Learning your body's hunger signals isn't a credit to Slimfast unless you mean that you will be hungry for half the day so yea LOL.

Tracking my food combined with noting what's going on when I do eat will helped me learn not only my body's real hunger signals but also made me aware of my bad eating habits IMO. I learned to eat mindfully when I tracked my food. It helped me stop to think about why I was looking to eat because when I open my food diary I can see just how much I ate and when.

So I used that information to teach myself good habits to replace those bad.

Like I know I have a tendency to eat when I'm stressed and I've learned that exercise has done good things to help me combat that stress as a side effect I'm not finding myself wanting to eat when I'm not truly hungry.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,493 Member

I just wanna say I'm super jealous of your Scorpion, @Mouse_Potato!!! That pose continues to elude me.

Thank you, @quiksylver296! It's still a work in progress, but I've come a long way in the last year or so. Someday I will get my feet to my head!
  • sunsetbeach1
    sunsetbeach1 Posts: 16 Member
    Who’s doing the slimfast diet?
    I started today so far so good!

How did you get on? I'm just starting as I need a quick fix before a holiday