Huel and other meal replacement shakes

Options
Deviette
Deviette Posts: 979 Member
Hi all, I was thinking about trying out huel as a replacement for my breakfast because I think it would fit my lifestyle well.

I start work early and I often find it difficult to eat before I leave for work, and I don't like eating breakfast at work, because it never really tastes as good and is a little messy (I'm a milk and cereal type of gal)

Anyway, I was just wondering if anybody uses/has used huel specifically or anything like it, and what your opinions are of them?

Thanks in advance

Replies

• pelpec
    pelpec Posts: 26 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Bump
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Deviette wrote: »
    Hi all, I was thinking about trying out huel as a replacement for my breakfast because I think it would fit my lifestyle well.

I start work early and I often find it difficult to eat before I leave for work, and I don't like eating breakfast at work, because it never really tastes as good and is a little messy (I'm a milk and cereal type of gal)

Anyway, I was just wondering if anybody uses/has used huel specifically or anything like it, and what your opinions are of them?

Thanks in advance

Not sure about shakes, but I'm a cereal and milk gal too. When I was in college and more recently when I was doing some babysitting for my sister I'd bring my own cereal and milk. A container with a twist lid kept the milk from leaking and I'd just pour it into the cereal container and eat it that way (I portion out my cereal ahead of time). No mess. Just thought I'd toss it out there as an option.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    If you DON'T like to eat breakfast, you don't have to. Don't force yourself to eat (this doesn't apply to people with eating disorders).

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    Don't, meal replacement shakes are a mistake. Sure if you want some quick temporary weight loss right before you gain all the weight back, then sure go for it. Otherwise teach yourself how to eat properly and make a permanent change with something sustainable that you follow for the rest of your life.

I have to disagree they are a meal have the same or better macro splits and limit calories and are faster than a "regular meal" Yes you have to regulate your eating properly and treat them as a meal if you drink 10 shakes a day that is overeating. I've done shakes for over 2 years and lost 120 lbs I find if you have a busy life they help greatly but with any food learn the pros and cons and if the macro splits match up with your goals there is nothing wrong with them. Some people don't like the idea of drinking your food and that is fine for them but for me they work great I currently use RSP TrueFit for my meal replacement for variety can add different fruits but I do 2 shakes a day and a sensible regular meal for dinner and some fruit for snacks.

I understand where you're coming from, but understand that the vast majority of people look to things like meal replacements shakes as an end all be all and they don't sensibly work them into to an otherwise healthy diet. Also for the majority of people, when cutting calories they tend to be hungry all the time, and drinking your calories is just not filling, not as filling as whole food. For these reasons meal replacement shakes are not a good option for most people looking to lose weight and get healthier. I understand that they're working for you and that's great, but when giving advice you need to look at how most people respond to something when dieting, and for most people, meal replacement shakes do not end well.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I think that you can find something that fits your lifestyle better if you think outside the box.
    Why is is difficult to eat breakfast before you leave for work? You could get up earlier. Is that out of the question? Why?
    Why is it that eating at work never really tastes as good?
    It sounds to me that taste is important to you, so why not pick something delicious?
    Milk and cereal is great, but is that the only option, and why can't you eat that at work?
    What will happen after you've white-knuckled through something you're dead set on but don't have to do and not really that keen on but think is the only viable option?
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »
    Don't, meal replacement shakes are a mistake. Sure if you want some quick temporary weight loss right before you gain all the weight back, then sure go for it. Otherwise teach yourself how to eat properly and make a permanent change with something sustainable that you follow for the rest of your life.

I use them, or more often protein bars, instead of a meal every now and then when I would probably miss the meal and end up snacking to fill the calories later. I agree it is not the best choice for most people to do as a standard part of their diet but it works for some people; they don't all gain the weight back. The yogurt and PB2 I eat almost every morning is not too far removed from being a shake. I have continued eating that almost every morning while in maintenance (5 months) so it wasn't just a weight loss gimmick. However, I usually also have a banana and sometimes cereal with almond milk (because I like almond milk).
  • maybebeccadough
    maybebeccadough Posts: 49 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I used soylent for a little while as breakfast, when I was too lazy to worry over anything else. It's extremely bland, and for soylent, 400cal/ bottle, which I personally didn't like (prefer a smaller breakfast).

To describe the flavor, imagine you took a box of cereal, took the inner bag out of the box, dumped all of the cereal back into the box, then soaked that box of cereal (yes, keeping the box) in milk. The resulting liquid would taste like soylent. I think that's the worst thing about it honestly. It just can't compare to some oatmeal or something.
  • Milli_Zid
    Milli_Zid Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Deviette wrote: »

Thanks in advance

I started using huel not too long ago, and I do genuinely agree with a lot of reviews that it does keep you full for a long time and that I have fewer urges to snack. Only tip is that I personally couldn't stand the taste with just water, so usually use 200ml milk, 2 scoops and as much water as I need to get the right consistency.

I do recommend if you're short of time, or for whatever reason you're looking for an alternative to traditional meals because you're probably getting more nutritional value than any other meal. Good luck if you try it :)
  • JAKLEB
    JAKLEB Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Where can i find data to add to diary?
  • maiaconley
    maiaconley Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I did the shake replacement for 7 days. I lost 5lbs very quickly. BUT the day I started eating regular food again (and the food wasn't unhealthy) the weight came right back!
    I would also suggest sticking to a regular healthy diet for everyday. 😊✌
  • reality7001
    reality7001 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I just started buying Core Power shakes. I've been eating a very strict diet with lean meats in every meal. I still sometimes find it difficult to get all the protien I need for my macros. So I'll opt for a shake at the end of the day if needed to meet those macro goals. They are delicious!
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    My wife has lost around 30 lbs and has a protein shake nearly every day. She works in the evenings part-time and when she works out (most days), she'll workout fasted, then afterward have a protein drink. On days she works, she'll drink the protein drink earlier (like 10 AM), then eat lunch with me at 2 PM and have just a light, healthy snack after work (with lunch being the biggest meal of the day). We're mostly plant based, so it tends to get her a good amount of protein (she uses SunWarrior). They do have a "meal replacement" product called Illumin8, if it's ever in stock (they sell out of it pretty quick).

I peaked at the ingredient list of Huel. Interesting. Don't like all the gums, the Vit K2 addition (MK-7) is nice, the Niacin and Folate types are superior. The load of crap on the B-12 on their site (they use an inferior type and try to explain why it's "superior") is funny. Some of the minerals are also inferior (like the type of calcium they use). That's the issue with most "all-in-one" drinks. They end up cutting on important ingredients that a high quality multi, for instance, would have to cut down costs. They keep fiber (good) and add MCT Oils (depending on how you see it, also good). So some good things, some things I'm not impressed with (like adding sunflower oil powder, just why??). Beats a breakfast cookie for sure or PopTarts. Not sure it's better than a veggie egg scramble or something similar.
  • elegantone
    elegantone Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I sometime eat two boil eggs for Bk or I have a shake Advantage Edge Was Carb Control 100cal 17g protein
  • elfysmenelfy
    elfysmenelfy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello, I see you guys were thinking about using Huel so I thought I’d share my initial experience of it.

I started using Huel at the beginning of September and I’ve found it to be amazing. I already know how to eat healthily and I am vegetarian (mainly plant based), I also exercise 5-6 times a week doing swimming laps for 40 mins before work.

I’m bipolar and have problems with routines and often in general doing anything like food really stresses me out unless I’m in a creative mood. The swimming has been amazing for me and I think I’ve only stuck to it as I enjoy it so much... water is so awesome!

So anyway, making food can be a real issue and I then end up not eating for long periods, losing weight in the bad way, or I eating rubbish, loads of coffee, sweet things mainly and put weight on. Huel has stopped all that, almost instantly. I can get my full nutrition with no stress or effort. I’m still having normal meals here and there through the week, mainly to be social.

Obviously I’m on calorie restriction as I need to lose 10kg hence being here and this is the first time I’ve been nailing it without feeling hungry.
  • ChasingMyDreamsChristine
    ChasingMyDreamsChristine Posts: 17 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I tried Huel many ways and it was sooo disgusting to my tastebuds. It tasted like chalky oatmeal with no flavoring. Actually made me nauseous. I was so sad because I was looking forward to using it to help me lose weight. I was mostly excited for complete nutrition it has as well but I just couldn’t stomach it. This is just my honest opinion and everyone is entitled to their own. I wish I could like it.
  • elfysmenelfy
    elfysmenelfy Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It’s not to everyone’s taste. I thought I wouldn’t like it at all as I’ve never done this type of thing. It’s worth the try!
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I'm trying it because my friend started taking it and loved it. She mixes it with coffee. She has 1 shake a day (it's so filling for her she splits the one shake for breakfast and lunch). Then a normal supper. The big thing that got my interest is she said her acid reflux went away. Her main warning is to be near a bathroom the first several days you use it.

I am trying my first Shake today. I'm looking for an easy portable meal as I am on the road a LOT with my job. At less than $2.50 a shake/meal, if it is as filling as my friend claims, it's very economical as well as nutritious for lazy people like me.
  • brikachu3
    brikachu3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    The first time I tried to drink it regular, it took me about 3 hours to get it down haha. (I’m a super picky eater.) It took a bit of experimenting to find a way for it to work for me. Right now I do 2 scoops vanilla Huel, about 2 ounces vanilla almond milk & the rest water, blueberries and (lots of) cinnamon. Blenders help. I also refrigerate it for a while first if I’m able to.. it helps a bit with the chalkiness, although some people don’t like the thickness.