Would Like To Find a Nutritionist

Options
This seems to be quite a challenge! I've looked on Yelp and Angies List to find local Denver nutritionists and they don't really seem to exist outside of personal trainers or alternative health types. I've seen a couple that were also trainers and the recommendations were somewhat generic (one of them actually looked up the US guidelines right in front of me and recommended THAT...).

I really need someone to help me dial in my micros and macros for my body type and level of activity. One shoe doesn't fit all. It's easy enough to say that you'll cut this or that out but your activity level and types of activities you do and what you are trying to achieve all should be a blueprint for what you need to eat to sustain the activity and achieve the goals.

Has anyone met someone that really is in-depth about their nutritional consultation? While Denver metro would be great I assume you can talk to anyone qualified since they probably don't need to physically see you to help.

Thanks!

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    How about a Registered Dietitian Nutritionists (RDNs) are food and nutrition experts who have met the following criteria to earn the RDN credential: ... These are awarded through CDR, the credentialing agency for the Academy, and/or other medical and nutrition organizations and are recognized.

MLM nutritionists simply pay a fee and become a nutritionist health coach under the umbrella of a food guru. Some take online courses for a few months and put their shingle out on the door.
    They charge mega bucks for their services and you can be taken to the cleaners. Search out those who are qualified. Denver is a huge place. Start making some calls, seek references.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,127 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Don't bother with nutritionists. Ask your doctor to refer you to a Registered Dietitian - all hospitals have them.
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above, seek a "Registered Dietitian", not a nutritionist.
  • MileHigh4Wheeler
    MileHigh4Wheeler Posts: 67 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Thank you to the non-snarky responses, I'll check out a dietitian and see what I can find. @Mari22na both the folks I talked to were certified and trained nutritionists.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I am late to the party with the same RD suggestion. Nutritionalist is a job title with no specific requirement. I know there are a couple of organizations that are certifying nutritionalists, but I find that idea a bit suspect. There is already a path to becoming a board certified professional. Taking shortcuts is not the same.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Thank you to the non-snarky responses, I'll check out a dietitian and see what I can find. @Mari22na both the folks I talked to were certified and trained nutritionists.

Anyone can take a class and become a certified nutritionist. Dietitians go through a full academic program and usually have licensing standards based on the state.
  • MileHigh4Wheeler
    MileHigh4Wheeler Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    @CarvedTones thanks for that post, I've done a bit of research and can see that there is a big difference between a dietitian and a nutritionist, while all dietitians are nutritionists not all nutritionists are dietitians and there are many "certification" programs out there to become a nutritionist rather than real education. It's good to know that if they call themselves a dietitian that they are bound by specific laws that govern who may call themselves that.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Check out the services at the Anschutz Health and Wellness Center at the CU School of Medicine. They have several packages dealing with RD consults for nutrition. Unless they're contractors (and I doubt they are), I would imagine their staff would hold at least clinical appointments in the School of Medicine.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Also, check with your insurance company. My insurance covers my dietician, who I now see just once a week. She is both an RD and an RN. I used to go three times a week, and that can add up without coverage.
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Most insurance websites have search tools -> look into RDN & sort by location. Might want to read BOTH positive & negative reviews on a practitioner before choosing