half-marathon to marathon training.

Options
Hi guys,
I have signed up for a half marathon in November, and 22 weeks after a marathon in April. I have run three half-marathons in the past (2-3 years ago) but haven't run properly for a year, so I am stating with the c25k program (halfway through right now)

My question is: after I train for and run the half marathon - is it best to do a 20 week marathon training plan - which will obviously reduce my mileage by a lot and then work back up. Or is it better to work from the half marathon distance so I build a better base before the marathon?

This is a super early question, but just something I am thinking about for the future. My main aim is not to injure myself - as I have over trained in the past and had Plantar fasciitis pretty bad for a few long months. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Depending on your specific training plan, having a half marathon base will be sufficient for starting most first-time marathon training plans. When I trained for my first marathon, I'd never run anything longer than a half. The first time plans are meant to help you gradually increase your mileage.

I would go with the 20 week plan, especially given that you have injury reduction in mind. You don't necessarily want to keep up a lot of miles in the gap between your half marathon and starting the marathon plan. Your body will appreciate the chance to recover.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Twenty weeks is a long old Marathon plan. Personally I'd suggest recovery for a week, then maintaining on about 20mpw for three before going into a 16 week plan.

I even find a 16week build a bit long but I've done 15 marathons and ultras now, so have a slightly different perspective.
  • aprilcanrun
    aprilcanrun Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    @janejellyroll @MeanderingMammal Thanks for the advice! I will probably have to reassess when I get closer to my half marathon on how I'm feeling :)
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    if you wanted a longer marathon plan - there is a hal higdon 30 week one - the first half is base building - would probably be about what you were doing for half-marathon training and then picks up with a 14week marathon plan - you could probably adapt that based on how many weeks to go
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,683 Member
    Options
    I would maintain at about the level you finish your half marathon plan, but without following an actual schedule. (i.e. run 30-35 mpw, but without formal speedwork or sticking to set paces.) Then start a 16 or 18 week marathon plan. I prefer 16 weeks, because it is hard for me to stick to a plan for 18, but some of the good ones run longer.