Exercises for Breast Reduction

Options
Hi!

I recently had a (approx 53 days ago) breast reduction and am still having some pain. I cannot do high impact exercises. Does anyone have any recommendations on low impact exercises? And I cannot do weight lifting (if it requires my chest muscles) at all currently until I completely heal (which can take 6 months to a year).

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    This is probably a question best asked to your medical team who is familiar with your surgery and your health.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    With that said, I lost all my weight with 90% of my exercise being walking or swimming.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    OP, what are you trying to accomplish with the exercise?
  • prettysenshi
    prettysenshi Posts: 36 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I am trying to tone and lose weight. I understand the toning may be more difficult and I have consulted my surgeon. I was told that I could increase to low impact and then as I feel conformable and am no longer in pain, then I may resume to high impact. She told me that this typically takes 6 months or longer. I am mostly healed with the exception of a few areas.

Maybe bike riding and walking as starters? I am unable to swim unfortunately as I cannot submerge my chest from complications.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I'd focus on diet/intake for the weight loss.

Cycling and walking (stairs, hills, etc) might work, but be careful about your intensity - while they are lower body exercises, they do/can use upper body muscles for stability/leverage. Your doc can probably offer better advice here.
  • pattisongs
    pattisongs Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! I had a breast reduction a few years ago, and started after 2 weeks with some light Leslie Sansone walking videos. I also was able to do yoga within 3 weeks. I healed quite rapidly, so YMMV. And congratulations! Getting a breast reduction was one of the best things I've done for myself.
  • VUA21
    VUA21 Posts: 2,072 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I recently had a (approx 53 days ago) breast reduction and am still having some pain. I cannot do high impact exercises. Does anyone have any recommendations on low impact exercises? And I cannot do weight lifting (if it requires my chest muscles) at all currently until I completely heal (which can take 6 months to a year).

Toning is losing fat while retaining muscle so that the muscle shows. Walk, walk, walk some more. To increase intensity, instead of walking faster (which may cause a bounce), walk on an incline. An incumbent stationary bike is another good choice as you get a workout without worry to your upper body.

Most of my weight loss journey exercises have been walking.
  • noodlesno
    noodlesno Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Hey,

I have had a breast reconstruction (4 years ago) which I assume maybe similar on the recovery and exercise front. For me I started with walking and then added stationary bike (spin classes, sat to start with). Yoga and the stair climber came next. After that non weights HITTs. Then back up to fully functioning. That was just my journey though.

The big thing is listen to your body and follow doctors orders. Your body will tell you want is uncomfortable pain and what is fine.

Good luck with the healing. X