College student in need of cheap healthy recipes

LightSaberLesbian
LightSaberLesbian Posts: 3 Member
Hello all! I’m looking for recipes that won’t break my miserable college budget for food and are relatively simple to make. I’d prefer items that can be frozen because I’m always running about.

Thank you!

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,553 Member
    Here are two blogs about eating on a budget.

The first is Jack Monroe who is now a food columnist but previously an unemployed single mom on benefits (=welfare in the UK)
    https://cookingonabootstrap.com/

The second is more focused on eating well on a low budget. The skint foodie is a former high flyer who ate at fancy restaurants that ended up on benefits after mental health problems.
    https://www.theskintfoodie.com/

My own recommendations for easy, cheap, freezable recipes are
    braised chicken thigh dishes (coq au vin, curry chicken, dak dori tang, chicken cacciatore)
    bolognaise sauce for spaghetti
    vegetable lasagna
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    i use budgetbytes even now
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    key to keeping my food costs low is doing my meal planning around stuff that is on sale - especially proteins - there is normally a lean protein on sale at one of my grocery stores weekly (normally pork or chicken);

i have freqent buyer/discount cards at all the stores by me - stock up on things like yogurt when its $10/10; or boxes of pasta; look at the asian/hispanic food sections for cheaper options (for some reason barley there is $1.50 a bag, but its $2.90 in the other section of the store).
  • MsLewis2you
    MsLewis2you Posts: 1 Member
    something I found outfrom a food group through fb is buying frozen cut veggies from the dollar tree. The have stir fry blends, brocolli, corn, etc Also try imperfect produce online
  • googtoyou
    googtoyou Posts: 14 Member
    Another vote for budgetbytes.com. My kids love the chicken teriyaki skewers and coconut rice.
  • dani_lopera
    dani_lopera Posts: 27 Member
    For breakfast eat "egg in the nest." It is really easy and affordable and taste amazing!

ingredients:
    -1 slice of bread
    -1 egg
    -Butter (optional)

Directions:
    1) Heat up a pan to medium heat
    2) cut a circle in the bread big enough to fit an egg
    3) Add butter to your pan (just enough so it doesn't stick)
    4) Place bread on pan
    5) Crack egg immediately and put it on the whole you made
    6) Wait for a minute or two and flip
    7) Repeat step 6 & add salt

Usually, i'll add cheese, ham, or avocado to add more protein but that is up to you.
    Perhaps you know what this is but if you don't you can search up the name and you'll understand what i mean.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,553 Member
    There is a nice series on the BBC called East Well for Less
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=y8wFTnPVHkE

The basic themes are: give up on big name brands and try supermarket brands, cook from scratch and avoid convenience foods and takeaways, give up pre-packaged foods such as grated cheese, bags of pre-washed salad,etc.