Weight lifting on an empty stomach

Options
Sam29a
Sam29a Posts: 201 Member
I have recently started back at the gym and was wondering if it's bad to workout on an empty stomach. I have been eating breakfast (oats, water, banana) and then going to the gym, but I hate it. At that time I'm usually not hungry at all and force myself to eat. When I return that's when I find myself hungry but I've already eaten my calories earlier. Plus I would like to get my workout done first thing.

I'm currently eating at a deficit and mostly do cardio (5 days), but also do strength training machines, free weights, and bodyweight exercises (3 days).

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Give it a go and see what happens. When I work out first thing, I'll do it fasted. The main thing I find is that I'm more shaky and fatigue faster. But then I have a big breakfast and life is good again.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Nope.... Not bad. If you prefer to not eat, don't! Some people prefer training after eating though as they feel like they can perform better when they train.
  • Sam29a
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Give it a go and see what happens. When I work out first thing, I'll do it fasted. The main thing I find is that I'm more shaky and fatigue faster. But then I have a big breakfast and life is good again.

I've done it before, but I read that you lose muscle mass if you lift without eating. I'm not exactly lifting heavy at this stage, but still, I have barely any muscle on me as it is. Don't want to lose any more that's why I thought I'd eat something.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Listen to your body here. If you have the energy to get through a fasted workout at your best effort, there's no need to eat first. Many people find they have more energy, particularly for cardio, with a few carbs in their system, but it doesn't have to be much. Something like a banana would do it. If you feel yourself tapping out or getting short tempered and "hangry" after working out fasted, eat a little something to keep your blood sugar up.

Eating a mixture of carbs and protein after working out is good for recovery. This doesn't have to be some fancy protein shake - one study found that chocolate milk worked well. And it doesn't have to be right after working out. But getting some protein in pretty soon is a good idea for muscle building, and the carbs will bring your blood sugar back up.
  • Sam29a
    Options
    Nope.... Not bad. If you prefer to not eat, don't! Some people prefer training after eating though as they feel like they can perform better when they train.

Great, I reckon I will just go back to working out before eating. Much prefer that.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Sam29a wrote: »
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

I've done it before, but I read that you lose muscle mass if you lift without eating. I'm not exactly lifting heavy at this stage, but still, I have barely any muscle on me as it is. Don't want to lose any more that's why I thought I'd eat something.

Excess loss of muscle will mostly come from too aggressive a deficit, lack of protein, and poor workout performance. If you feel your best and have progressive and great workout sessions fasted, then go for it.