Instant Pot?

Options
Goober1142
Goober1142 Posts: 219 Member
Yes or no. Is it better than a crock pot? I'm a terrible cook, thinking I could get some decent chicken out of it but not sure it's worth the investment. I'm famous for my cooking...but not in a good way lol

Replies

• pamchesney
    pamchesney Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I love mine!!
  • strongerbytheday
    strongerbytheday Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I love mine too!!
  • lucys1225
    lucys1225 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    It's my favorite appliance!
  • JCLewis7
    JCLewis7 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Absolutely worth it. It functions as a crock pot (and other functions) too so definitely better than just a crock pot. And if you enjoy that cooked-all-day texture for chicken etc you get that in a really short cooking time. It's mostly hands-off cooking too so ideal for a novice cook.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Goober1142 wrote: »
    Yes or no. Is it better than a crock pot? I'm a terrible cook, thinking I could get some decent chicken out of it but not sure it's worth the investment. I'm famous for my cooking...but not in a good way lol

I cook a lot. I have both professional kitchen experience and I'm a home chef. To be honest, I just got mine and have mostly used it for my dog's food so far (I make their food homemade too). It's really, really fast and it's safe. You can do a lot with it. I see it being fantastic in the Winter. For the Summer (for me), not as much.

Great for tougher meats, roasts, if you want to make beans/lentils in it that would be great. I'm thinking about making some Mujadara in it soon (Lebanese rice/lentils).

It's not going to brown your meats, it's essentially better for making tough meat or anything quickly and really drawing the flavors out in half the time. It's also safer than the old fashioned pressure cookers. I had one of those suckers explode on me years ago and those were dangerous!

I think it is going to be fantastic if I ever want to make ribs (but I'm not much of a meat eater) to quickly make them near fall off the bone and then finish on the grill.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I haven’t made too much in it yet but it’s handy for bigger pieces of meat, like a roast or pork butt or a whole chicken. I have made pulled pork a few times in it (I know it would be better smoked, I try to get my husband to do that) but it’s pretty good cooked in the instant pot. I can set mine to sauté so I can brown the meat first which is a nice feature so I don’t have to dirty up another pan.
  • losergood2011
    losergood2011 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I really dislike it - It doesn't save me any time and the food is pretty tasteless - I do like it for making bone broth but the crockpot is just as good for us.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    1 pot spaghetti in 10 minutes and good!!! Love my instant pot!
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I love it! I use it mostly for broths and soups. I have a muscle disease that makes it hard to chew and swallow, when that’s acting up I use the IP to cook meats until they’re soft enough for me to manage— it took days in the crockpot but only a couple hours in the IP.