Struggling to hit my protein goals

Options
Urg. Whenever I feel like I have planned a good protein day, I find I am still nowhere near my actual protein goal when I enter it in my diary, and it's SO FRUSTRATING. I just can't hit it. My goal is 120 grams per day. The trouble is that I am really not that keen on eating meat, eggs or dairy and while it is impractical for me to be fully plant based at the moment, I do try to keep 2 meals (1 at the very least) completely vegan. I eat as many legumes as I can, and supplement with pea protein powder once a day. Should I add more protein shakes? I prefer real food and would rather not do this....anyone have any tips? How do you get enough protein??

Replies

• errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Protein should be about 0.6-0.8 grams per lb of body weight. How did you arrive at 120g?

Have you tried pre logging your day to make sure you reach your goals? Protein powder is a supplement for a reason! Make sure it's a complete protein source though.
  • Courtscan2
    Courtscan2 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I weigh around 137, so it's not far off 0.8g - I have seen that formula before, but as I'm trying to recomp, I feel like more is better than less at the moment to maintain/build what I've got. Some days I'm lucky to get 60g. I would love to prelog, but struggle to find the time.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I struggle too. I have IBS like issues which force me into a high fiber diet, which makes it really tough to hit my protein goal and stay under on my calories. My diet as a result is primarily pescatarian, about 80% fruit and veggies, I'd rather not have bathroom issues, I'd also rather not eat like a precision robot to get it done. So I focus on my fiber goal, and try for the best with Protein. What I have found, is that hitting your protein goal everyday is not even remotely as critical as people make it out to be. If you're getting close, don't sweat it. How does your belly feel? How does your mind feel? Are you happy with your progress and mirror? I've been slowly cutting fat, while making strength gains and minimal muscle loss on a fairly low protein diet for nearly 4 months. 40c / 35f /25p. is about the average, but I don't stress over macros at all. Its not worth it. The things that are worth it, is what makes you feel happy, satiated, and healthy with good digestion. Not mention something you will stick with.
  • PokernuttAR
    PokernuttAR Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    If it was easy, everyone would be ripped. lol. I think you know what you need to do, now its just a matter of how bad you really want it. I struggle with similar motivation issues, so rest assured you're not alone. Set a goal and don't stop till you get there. I lost over 60lbs, so if I can do it, everyone can do it!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    How much protein is in your current supplement?

Maybe switch to a supplement with a high protein content. I'm currently taking the Vega Sport protein powder, it has 30g or protein per scoop so that's a huge help to hit my protein intake everyday.

It's also plant-based

You protein supplement can provide as much or as little as you need it to - weigh the amount you use and enter it into your diary. I've never found an accurate scoop
  • LongM679
    LongM679 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Tvp helps me a lot.
  • JessAndreia
    JessAndreia Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    One meal I eat often is about 3/4 can of chickpeas in to a pan and add half a block of smoked tofu cut in strips. Use any seasonings you like. Personally, I like to add salt and garlic powder (added before adding tofu as it's already seasoned). There should easily be about 25 grams of protein there. If you have it alongside a serving of pasta, you can add an extra 10-12 grams of protein.

Should work fine with regular tofu, too. You would probably have to cook it first though.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Beans and rice together for an ultimate protein/amino combo, tofu stir-fry, soy milk smoothies, commercial protein bars, pea protein powder... don't be afraid of eating the same thing twice a day.
  • Talan79
    Talan79 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I do one whey shake, 3/4 cup liquid egg white, tuna (half a can), 100 grams of ground turkey (lean), 2% Greek yogurt (18 grams of protein)...my protein is bn 135/140 daily. I also do 1 slice of Ezekiel bread and 1 tablespoon of peanut butter, the Ezekiel bead has 4 grams of protein.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I weigh around 137, so it's not far off 0.8g - I have seen that formula before, but as I'm trying to recomp, I feel like more is better than less at the moment to maintain/build what I've got. Some days I'm lucky to get 60g. I would love to prelog, but struggle to find the time.

If you have time to log, prelogging takes no more time and would allow you to plan better... You'd be less frustrated!

This. Pre-log so there are no surprises and you can adjust your meals to hit your macros.