Increasing activity

Options
It’s probably no surprise that I am new to exercising. I’m curious about how you all start to increase your level of physical activity? How often do you increase? Do you increase individual reps for exercises, or total time exercising? Any thoughts you have are appreciated.

Replies

• urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    if you have never exercised just know that you can increase slowly - what you do today you will naturally increase the ability to do more. don't try to do it all at once...like people tell you that you should. its a life change it takes time. I see most people start out and DO IT ALL...then quit.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    When I start I start slow. I don't start running, I start walking and keep increasing my distance and quicken my pace. Than I walk two blocks and run one etc. Same with weights. I go and do a set on the machines at a pitiful light weight and go up ten pounds each visit until I start to feel it. Then I stay at that weight until I feel the need to go up again. No soreness or pain.
  • AmberGlitterSparkles
    AmberGlitterSparkles Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    This is all really helpful! Thank you
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Look into the instructions for "Couch to 5K". That gives a detailed plan for transitioning from a moss-covered couch potato to a 5K Runner. Even if you don't plan to run, you can see how it starts gently and persistently increases in small steps. That sort of careful management of a program is applicable to any activity goal you have.

• AmberGlitterSparkles
    AmberGlitterSparkles Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Look into the instructions for "Couch to 5K". That gives a detailed plan for transitioning from a moss-covered couch potato to a 5K Runner. Even if you don't plan to run, you can see how it starts gently and persistently increases in small steps. That sort of careful management of a program is applicable to any activity goal you have.
    That’s a great idea. I downloaded the app but hadn’t really looked at it yet.