MACROS

what is the best macro ratio for weight loss? I'm 5ft 1 and 10st 11lb.
Exercise Just now and then

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    Barring medical reasons for limiting a particular macro, it’s personal preference. Weight loss is going to come from a calorie deficit.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    For weight loss, sticking to appropriate calorie target.
    For sticking to appropriate calorie target, a diet that keeps you happy and energized.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    MFP settings are fine to start with.

tweak for satiety if desired
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I keep to a ketogenic diet; calories 70% from fat, 20% protein, and 10% carbs. If I keep the carbs under 50 g/day, I lost weight.

No, if you kept a calorie deficit you lost weight.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,332 Member
    I keep to a ketogenic diet; calories 70% from fat, 20% protein, and 10% carbs. If I keep the carbs under 50 g/day, I lost weight.

stellar first post. Keto is a very specific thing and not necessary for weight loss.

To the original poster: I always used the default settings of 50/30/20. It works fine for me. I'm usually over on protein and sometimes fat, and usually under on carbs.

Just start. Tweak as you go.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    1g/lb of lean body mass protein, .35g/lb of ideal bodyweight for fat, by default carbs get the rest. I personally like a little more fats so I take from carbs.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    what is the best macro ratio for weight loss? I'm 5ft 1 and 10st 11lb.
    Exercise Just now and then

Calories is what determines weight loss. Many of us started out with the mfp default macros, and view protein, fat, and fiber as minimums and let carbs fall where they may. If after logging for awhile, you notice a pattern where one macro either keeps you really full or really hungry you can tweak from there. Good luck!