TGI Fridays

Options
I am not quite sure what to eat here. At work we have incentive money and the group wanted to go out to lunch to TGI Fridays. I have one problem, I dont know what I can eat there. They have a unlimited Soup Salad and Breadstick combo which "Sounds" Healthy but is it really? So what are some tips that can help stear away from the really bad foods

Replies

• wiseg2
    wiseg2 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Here's their menu: http://www.tgifridays.com/menus/menus.aspx

Try this link for nutritional info: http://www.thedailyplate.com/nutrition-calories/food/tgi-fridays

As you probably know most restuarant food is loaded with sodium. I've never been to this particular restuarant but if the portions are large, you could eat half of it and save the rest for later. Or drink a glass or 2 of water so you don't eat as much. Its helpful for me before I go to eat out to look at the menu before hand and get a pretty good idea of what I want and how many calories its going to set me back.

You can also try working out earlier in the day so you have some extra calories to work with if you want to splurge a little.
  • timbotina
    timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Try looking online for caloric count of TGIF foods before you go...maybe that will help.....also you must still live a normal life...just think a little, splurge a LITTLE and watch the rest of the day.......hope this helps!!
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    this is a tough one. We go there sometimes for lunch with my son, and on these days I work out harder in the morning, and plan to only have salad for dinner. It's tough to stay in goal.

If you are motivated to try, I would go for one of the many chicken dishes, get extra veggies instead of any rice or potatoes. I typically get the chicken fajitas. It's not terrible if you don't eat the rice and maybe just 2 of the tortillas. The hard part is not eating everything!

Good luck!
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Salad, with dressing on the side of course....

I think they have a "right" portions thing going on now where its like half the size of the normal stuff they serve, you may want to look those over. When I used to go there, I'd hit up the low carb menu because it had the least amount of stuff added. It was generally just meat and veggies.

Perhaps the shrimp key west. Or the petite serloin (sub the taters for more veggies). I always ask for my veggies to have no seasoning on them to reduce sodium.

Just remember there is a reason why Friday's doesn't give nutrition info...even though something may seem like it's "healthier" it may not be. So look for stuff with little sauce and minimal tantalizing sensational wording; that usually means sugary fatty nasty. :)
  • baggins706
    baggins706 Posts: 310
    Options
    I always get the Parmesean Crusted Chicken! It is light, filling and the combination tastes good together! It is a meal UNDER 400 calories!

Enjoy!:flowerforyou:
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    I always get the Parmesean Crusted Chicken! It is light, filling and the combination tastes good together! It is a meal UNDER 400 calories!

Enjoy!:flowerforyou:

This is my favorite meal at TGIF love the mozzerella/tomato side that comes with it and the tortallini--the entire meal is filling without overdoing the calories...
  • Koshie
    Koshie Posts: 61
    Options
    Hi Guys, I ended up having the Sizzling Chicken meal. Same Parmesean Crusted Chicken meat is used but you get two slices. I ate one chicken and then maybe two or three bites of the pasta with tomatoes on it. No sause it was pretty filling. Though the Sodium was through the roof for a full meal! I was surprised
  • ltlemermaid
    ltlemermaid Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Yea sodium is a pain to watch when going out to eat!
  • jkohan
    jkohan Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Just curious how many calories you all think their food has since TGI Fridays is notorious for NOT publishing their nutritional information. And, I do NOT trust Daily Plate... because there is no reliable source to check the accuracy for this restaurant.
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Just curious how many calories you all think their food has since TGI Fridays is notorious for NOT publishing their nutritional information. And, I do NOT trust Daily Plate... because there is no reliable source to check the accuracy for this restaurant.

Ask in-restaurant. I can't seem to find it online, but I distinctly remember looking at their nutritional info when I went there a few months ago with my husband. I was pretty shocked to find that there was barely anything I could eat! We haven't gone back since, even though it is within walking distance of our house!

Maybe they won't have it everywhere, but they definitely had it here because of the new California law. What I do is I ask everywhere, no matter where I go (even small, family run establishments), even if I looked it up beforehand (if they don't have it on the table or with the menu). I figure that if we all start asking, it is going to make them realize that people want this information and they will be losing business if they don't provide it.