Balance

Options
Hello all.. This is week two of successfully staying within my calorie goal for the first time since September (not for lack of trying, I have self-control issues when it comes to food). What has been helpful so far is every day on my lunch break I go for a decent 30 - 40 minute walk, which usually gets me enough extra calories for a small after dinner snack (I have to eat something close to when I go to bed or I feel "deprived").

I've been reading the threads about motivation and how it's a limited resource, which I can definitely see within myself. I've been under some stress and also have depression which I do take medication for, but a lot of daily tasks are a struggle for me to do at times.

I'm currently taking an accounting course in my free time for my job so I can move up, but this takes what I feel is the remaining motivation I have left in me for the day.

I have less than 10 lbs to lose and I try to eat enough protein. I would like to do You Are Your Own Gym as well to help preserve the muscle I do have.

My question is, does it make sense to try to do YAYOG as well when I'm finally being successful in my other goals but feel like one more added could cause something to give? I have one month left in my accounting course, is it a cop out to say I should wait to start until then? Would waiting a month make any major difference in muscle retention?

I'm just trying to get some outside perspective on if this is a fair balance or if I'm making excuses. Thank you in advance. :)

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Only you can determine what your tipping point is. I've been in the 'one more thing...' camp before and wound up taking a couple of months eating at maintenance just to give myself some breathing room.

I don't think one month is going to make an appreciable difference in your muscle retention. IMO it's more important to be sure you aren't eating in too steep a deficit when looking to conserve existing muscle. But that's just my opinion. Someone more educated on the matter might disagree.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    How much more time do you have to devote to exercise? Why not do an abbreviated YAYOG until your course is finished?

If the program you are considering has a fee, there’s 100s of free things on YouTube using the same concept. You don’t need to jump into the deep end of the pool to start. When it comes to exercise, something is better than nothing.

And be careful eating back more exercise calories. And don’t freak out over water retention in newly worked muscles.
  • Wendyanneroberts
    Wendyanneroberts Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    If taking on one more thing, would make the rest collapse (adding one more card, makes the house of cards collapse). That you have honestly realised that this will probably be the case. Then I feel you should definitely wait. It's about balancing a healthy lifestyle (all round) and not just focuse on weight loss. I have some personal experience (with close family) and know how building up slowly but surely, is positive.

You have made a great start, have taken up walking (a great way to build in some exercise, especially at the beginning). Have learnt that saving a night time snack, for just before bed really helps your control of food and staying the course. Motivation & will power are limited. So building new daily, healthy habits, will work in the long run. Like brushing your teeth at night, just something you do.

As for muscle retention, eating enough protein will really help. Making sure your weekly weight loss is not to aggressive, because then you will lose muscle as well as fat. With less than 10lb to lose, I feel you would be best setting your deficit to lose 0.5lb a week. Continue as you are for the coming month, building a firm foundation. Finishing your accounting course, also a great step towards a better future. Then when you have succeeded there, with more free time, start to work in some additional exercise/strength training.

There is a big difference between "making excuses" and really knowing what is best for us. I don't feel you should add anything else at this stage, especially as it's only a month away.

Setting Firm Foundations now, ready for the next level;
    is/will be much better for you at the moment and in the long run, rather than adding one more layer to soon, causing everything to collapse around you. It's good that you can recognise this in yourself and will really help you moving forward.
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your insight, it is greatly appreciated! :)